none
Windows 7 slow file transfer speed between two network drives. RRS feed

• General discussion

• So here is my problem:

I have a computer running Windows server 2012 r2, and two workstations running windows 7.

I would like to transfer large files between two network drives on my Windows server. This is because both my "user area", and my "public drive" are mapped via group policy. My server and my Windows 7 workstation both have gigabit networking cards, and are connected over cat6 ethernet to my gigabit router. When I try to move a file from my user area (stored on the server) to the "public drive" (also on the same server), I get an average write speed of 7mb/s. However this is where things get interesting: After testing with three DIFFERENT Windows 10 machines, i received a write speed of over 600MB/s. I also swapped out my existing Windows 7 installation, mentioned before, for a windows 10 installation and experienced speeds of up-to 1000mb/s over ethernet.

However today i reinstalled windows 7 (the desired operating system), and was stuck back at 7mb/s again. I have now tried two versions of windows 7: (Enterprise, Professional) and the same result was seen in both. 

Some steps i have tried:

- Disabling all offloads.

- Setting duplex to 1gb/s.

- Disabling Auto tuning.

- Fully installing drivers for the "nics"

- Changing all network adapter ADVANCED settings

- Different cables

- Wireless / Ethernet

- Disabling remote differential compression

ALL CHANGES ABOVE WERE DONE ON BOTH THE SERVER AND WORKSTATIONS.

- Changing to windows 10: (WORKED, but i have no interest in using that.

Note: I am using SMB as the share type from the windows server. Please do not tell me that it is a hardware bottleneck, because that evidently is not the case. I would like to know if there is any steps i can take to get Windows 7 working quickly over the network.

Thanks.

Saturday, May 11, 2019 9:34 PM