SMS Despooler error RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a SMS Despooler error failing to apply a merge delta on a very large SCCM package (7GB).

SMS Despooler failed to merge delta to the compressed package "CEN0000D". The operating system reported error 1: Incorrect function.

Possible cause: The destination drive is full.
    Solution: Make more space available on that drive. SMS Despooler will attempt to merge the delta again during its next retry interval

We have over 70Gb of free disk space, so the drive is not full. I have rebooted the server but that has not helped. Also refreshed the distribution point about three times and created a newer source version.

All the problems started when we updated from source 8 to 9 (now on version 11) when something went wrong with the distribution point updates. One of the vbs files in the package has got corrupted on the distribution points. What is odd is the corruption is present on all points apart from the source files folder and the central distribution point which is were the package updates were created.

I need to get the central site package recreated. If I turned off binary delta replication would this regenerate the package and update all the distribution points again from fresh?

I am starting to feel that I might of hit a bug somewhere.

Mike

Friday, November 14, 2008 7:30 AM

Answers

• Running SCCM SP1

We had this exact problem, trying to deploy the Nuance PDF Converter 5 program, about 450 MB package from my central server, through a Domain server, to a site server, all primary site servers, and two DPT's at the site.  Package was stuck at version # 1, and, # 2 wouldn't deploy.

No issue with drive space, and, no help from Google, other than about deleting stuff from inboxes.

I turned off binary replication, distributed the package again (# 3) then went to the server that it wouldn't deploy TO, and, deleted all files in the \SMS\inboxes\despoolr.box\receive folder.

About 5 minutes later, the package was distributed to this server and the ones below it.

I then turned binary replication back on, and, distributed again (# 4), it thought for a VERY long time (I guess, checking the binaries for changes?), but, then finally went to # 4 on the two subordinate servers and the two DPT's.

Don't have a clue, but, that seemed to fix it...<G>

Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Anyone figure this out yet?
    Had it today on 2 of 8 identical DP's with a Software Updates package after adding the February patches.

Hitting Refresh DP solved it apparently. It appears to me that the Binary Differential Replication is a bit "glitchy".

Cheers,
    Serge
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:27 AM

All replies

•  

Did you figure this out? I am seeing the same error. It goes to some DP's but many others are getting this error. These are much smaller pacakges than yours.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:52 PM
  • The solution might be to remove the DP and add it again a few hours later. I have tried this on about three DPs so far and it appears to work. I am in the process of trying a package update again and need to see if it can be updated without issue.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:56 PM
  • Running SCCM SP1

We had this exact problem, trying to deploy the Nuance PDF Converter 5 program, about 450 MB package from my central server, through a Domain server, to a site server, all primary site servers, and two DPT's at the site.  Package was stuck at version # 1, and, # 2 wouldn't deploy.

No issue with drive space, and, no help from Google, other than about deleting stuff from inboxes.

I turned off binary replication, distributed the package again (# 3) then went to the server that it wouldn't deploy TO, and, deleted all files in the \SMS\inboxes\despoolr.box\receive folder.

About 5 minutes later, the package was distributed to this server and the ones below it.

I then turned binary replication back on, and, distributed again (# 4), it thought for a VERY long time (I guess, checking the binaries for changes?), but, then finally went to # 4 on the two subordinate servers and the two DPT's.

Don't have a clue, but, that seemed to fix it...<G>

Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:52 AM
  • Anyone figure this out yet?
    Had it today on 2 of 8 identical DP's with a Software Updates package after adding the February patches.

Hitting Refresh DP solved it apparently. It appears to me that the Binary Differential Replication is a bit "glitchy".

Cheers,
    Serge
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:27 AM
  • We had the same error and I've found that there were exceeded hard quota set (by default?) for SMSPKG$ and SMSPKGC$ shares. And apparently this could lead to such issues no matter how much free space left on drives ...
    Friday, March 16, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Where do you find the settings for the quota in SCCM 2007?
    Friday, August 31, 2012 4:45 AM