none
DhcpLogFilesMaxSize 2016 core RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a new 2016 core dhcp server in a test network and keep having the file max size reset to default of 70mb. I have been unable to establish a pattern as of yet but it seems roughly once a day but not at night. When it changes both the reg key and Get-DhcpServerAuditLog show the change and i can change it either way and it gets reset.

Restarting the service does not cause the change that I can tell.

Friday, June 15, 2018 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a nice day! Thanks for your question.

Please check my understanding it is correct, would you like to change max Size of the DHCPlogfiles  on winserver 2016 core? But now we face that we can’t change it neither registry setting or powershell command after reboot? If I misunderstand your desired, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

We’ll need to make sure that the registry key path is correct,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCPServer\Parameters\DhcplogFilesMaxSize

Furthermore, we can use the command “Set-dhcpserverAuditLog  -MaxMBFileSize <decimal>” to change the size. Then, we need to restart the server to let the configuration take effect.

Here is an TN article refer to this powershell command, please follow the link,

Set-DhcpServerAuditLog

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/dhcpserver/set-dhcpserverauditlog?view=win10-ps

Hope above information helps. I look forward hearing your good news.

If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 18, 2018 6:40 AM
  • In addition, we can use the command "get-module -listavailable " to list the Powershell module commands all supported in this server core if we do not sure the above powershell command regarding DHCPserver is available.

Here is the MS Docs refer to this powershell command, 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/get-module?view=powershell-6

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 18, 2018 6:54 AM
  • I tried both methods and they work for some amount of time but within about a day it reverts back to 70mb list in registry and Get-DhcpServerAuditLog
    Monday, June 18, 2018 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

I made a test in my test. It's OK. Please make sure to run it with the Administrator right. And we need to restart the DHCP service with the powershell command "restart -service dhcpserver"

Hope this helps. I look forward hearing your good news.

Best regards,

Michael

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 2:11 AM
  • I think you misunderstand. I set the setting and Get-DhcpServerAuditLog shows the correct setting( which it won't if you do not restart the service) and the setting in the registry changes. However if I go back later and check it in a few days it has reverted.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 12:44 PM