Windows 2012 R2 Virtual Machine unable to boot RRS feed

• Question

• We have a windows 2012 R2 virtual machine that is running on Windows 2012 R2 host. Suddenly the virtual machine was unable to log on to windows. It boots and before getting the ALT-Ctrl-Del keys it shows only a black screen.

We are able to ping the machine IP address & get a reply. We could not access the machine via Remote Desktop also.

Any help to boot the machine.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:16 AM

Answers

• Is this happening on a VM you have had running for a while and it just started happening, or is it happening with a newly created VM?

If you are able to ping the machine, it must have booted.  The only other thing that could be occurring in that situation is if there is another machine on the network with the same IP address.  In that case, the second machine trying to use that address would be given an APIPA address and you would not be able to ping the VM, but a ping to the address would respond from the machine that does have the address. Are you sure which machine is responding to the ping?  Check the MAC address of the responding machine to see if it is your VM or some other machine.

Can't RDP:  Were you ever able to RDP into the machine?  By default, remote desktop is disabled.  You have to enable it before you can RDP into it.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, January 25, 2016 7:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:37 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:52 PM

All replies

• Is this happening on a VM you have had running for a while and it just started happening, or is it happening with a newly created VM?

If you are able to ping the machine, it must have booted.  The only other thing that could be occurring in that situation is if there is another machine on the network with the same IP address.  In that case, the second machine trying to use that address would be given an APIPA address and you would not be able to ping the VM, but a ping to the address would respond from the machine that does have the address. Are you sure which machine is responding to the ping?  Check the MAC address of the responding machine to see if it is your VM or some other machine.

Can't RDP:  Were you ever able to RDP into the machine?  By default, remote desktop is disabled.  You have to enable it before you can RDP into it.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, January 25, 2016 7:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:37 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:52 PM
  • Hi EAKN,

I had the same issue recently and only solution worked for me was to repair the VM using OS Media file... By repairing, my issue got resolved.

http://www.hackaapl.com/repairing-windows-2012-r2-startup/

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755163.aspx

Mark as answer if this helps You!

Thanks,

Mayank Dhama

Thursday, December 31, 2015 6:13 PM
  • Hi EAKN,

I suggest you perform a repair of the VM using installation DVD.

>>Suddenly the virtual machine was unable to log on to windows.

What do you mean by suddenly? Do you mean it worked well and can't boot now?

If it's working well before, Which operation have you performed on it?

Are you using antivirus application?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 1, 2016 5:56 AM
  • Hello,

The VM is on the production since more than two years & everything was working fine. I could not spot any action (windows update, driver installation ..etc) performed on the VM that could cause windows unable to boot.

I have tried the steps mentioned on http://www.hackaapl.com/repairing-windows-2012-r2-startup/ to repair windows startup issues, but unfortunittly it does not solve the issue. I got the below,

- After I follow the outlined steps on the three methods & when reaching (5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next) I could not see the list of windows installation to select the OS to repair. Instead the wizard got me to the repair options directly.

- When I choose method 1 I got (Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation)

- When I choose method 2 I got the below output

Successfully scanned windows installations
    Total identified windows installations: 0
    The operation completed successfully

- When I choose method 3 I got (Bootcode was successfully updated on all target volumes)

I could not spot were the issue is so far? Any ideas.

Friday, January 1, 2016 12:00 PM
  • Hello Leo,

The VM was working fine without issues. No action has been performed that caused this issue. For AV i use Kaspersky AV on the VM.

It just start and windows logo appears before logging into windows I got only a black screen. I tried to repair using steps on (http://www.hackaapl.com/repairing-windows-2012-r2-startup/) but with no luck.

Friday, January 1, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hi EAKN,

This solution worked for me.... don't know why not working for your case but I have found one more thread which says something related to network card:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/47e060ea-5ed9-4ac7-a1b5-2ed84830f26e/2012-r2-generation-2-vm-boot-failure-after-migration?forum=winserverhyperv

You can test by removing network card and add new network card on VM.... don't know if this will work...

Please revert back once done...

Thanks,

Mayank Dhama

Friday, January 1, 2016 4:07 PM
  • I found one more thread which says that export the VM and Import it on another hyper-v host... This helped them... Below is referenced URL, You can also test:

http://serverfault.com/questions/651835/inaccessible-boot-device-on-hyper-v-2012-r2-virtual-machines

Thanks,

Mayank Dhama

Friday, January 1, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Hello Mayank,

I have tried both solutions above to remove the network card, replace with new one & export the machine to another host but the issue still. I have used diskpart tool to examine the VM disks if there are any issue, but I think they look fine, see below,

Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:02 PM
  • I have seen issue with Kaspersky stopping the network working (did not matter if I disconnected it from network), so the server never gets to the login prompt. This happened to me on one server that had Kaspersky 10 installed but was never rebooted, I was the first person to reboot it after the install and hit the issue.

So can you boot into safemode? The only way I have found to get safemode on Server 2012 is to interrupt the early boot sequence twice. So restart at early first windows boot power off. Do that a second time, early windows boot power off. Third time it will boot into recovery options due to issues starting. On the Choose an option screen, Troubleshoot > Startup Settings > Restart. On restart Safemode.

If it boots in Safemode disable all NICs in device manager. Restart and if it starts login and uninstall Kaspersky. Does it then boot and can the NIC be turned back on?

Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:43 PM
  • I have tried to login to safe mode. But I got the same issue of getting only a black screen. I think the issue is with the boot records. I have tried steps on http://blog.johanpersson.nu/?p=1258 but the issue still not solved.

Saturday, January 2, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hi EAKN,

If all the repairing methods failed, I suggest you boot to windows PE and backup the data. Then create a new VM and migrate the data back.

Besides, as Mr Happy mentioned, I have also seen posts that Kaspersky caused boot failure. If possible, run the VM without Kaspersky or try other AV application.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 4, 2016 6:42 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Unfortunately the VM is unable to boot so I can replace Kaspersky AV if it the cause. I think the last resort it to build a new VM & do all the configuration from scratch?

The VM we have hold the Primary SCCM 2012 role. We need to reinstall and connect the site database stored on our a separate SQL server.

Monday, January 4, 2016 6:51 AM
  • Hi EKAN,

>>I think the last resort it to build a new VM & do all the configuration from scratch?

Yes, it's the last choice if repairing failed. 

And in lots of cases, building and configuring from scratch is easier than repairing.

Best Regards,

Leo

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 1:18 AM
  • Hi EAKN,

Thanks for Your reply!

Have You tested by disabling network card and then starting VM?

Thanks,

Mayank Dhama

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:29 AM