none
Sharepoint Migration Tool missing column data for only pdf files RRS feed

• Question

• I recently did a migration from sharepoint 2013 to sharepoint online with the sharepoint migration tool and it appears to have gotten all the files however there is a column labeled "Record No." that contains data for a document management system.  It appears that every filetype except pdf's contains the data that the onprem files had but PDF files show it as missing.

I'm stumped, I opened a ticket with Microsoft on this as its critical for us to have that.  Has anyone else seen this same issue?

Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:49 PM

All replies

• This is great to know. i will look into it a bit

do you have more details on that columns so we can reproduce this in our environment. 

Also can you confirm the version of the tool you used.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:43 PM
  • Sorry for the late response on this.  I believe it was version 0.2.63 then 0.2.65 and possibly 0.2.68 all of which have failed.  I see its updated again, I can try running it one more time and see if anything changes with the latest update.
    Monday, November 27, 2017 9:40 PM
  • I'm rerunning it over the top of our existing test site/files, same thing, pdfs are missing column data.  The office 365 sharepoint team has also closed my ticket without any resolution to this, anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, November 27, 2017 10:21 PM
  • This is great to know. i will look into it a bit

do you have more details on that columns so we can reproduce this in our environment. 

Also can you confirm the version of the tool you used.

Thanks

Hi Simon were you able to find anything on this issue?  I'm certainly hoping we don't have to puchase a 3rd party tool to get this working as they are all fairly expensive.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 4:24 PM
  • About " It appears that every filetype except pdf's contains the data that the onprem files had but PDF files show it as missing."

Interesting that only PDF files are affected. Do you also have file types in your data set like zip, txt, ..that contain the column after migration?

One explanation is that files type like doc, docx, msg, tiff, .. contain the record no in the files itself through property demotion on SP2013. If such a file is then uploaded to SPO property promotion will then read the metadata value from the file and populate the column in SPO. This way some file types that do no contain SharePoint metadata (e.g. zip, txt, pdf, ..) end up with an empty record no after migration.

This is something to look into.

Paul | SLIM Applications (www.slimapplications.com)

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:32 PM
  • Hi Paul, Yes all other files like .txt, .eml, .msg, .xls migrated correctly with the record no data.  Only pdf's as far as I can tell were affected.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:43 PM
  • If there are .txt files with the correct metadata after migration then lack of property promotion for PDFs becomes unlikely. To help support understand the context of the problem I would do a test migration of a small data set with different file types (doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx, pdf, gif, jpg, txt, msg, zip, png, bmp, tiff, ...). This may help identify which file types are affected. Also check if all PDF files are affected. i.e. use different sizes and ideally also test with a pdf file with a password.
    Paul

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:13 PM
  • Any idea if the pdf/metadata issue has been fixed at all?  It looks like the tool is no longer in beta but I don't see any replies from Simon on if testing was ever done to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

Erik

Monday, February 26, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Erik,

Did you ever receive a response or find a resolution to this item? 

Thanks

James

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:17 PM
  • I didn't and have not had another migration opportunity to test it out unfortunately.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 4:20 PM
  • this should be resolved by now please try with the new version or the beta version to let us know if you still see this issue.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:31 PM
  • Simon,

I just tested this, migrating files from our on-premise SharePoint 2013 environment to SPO using SPMT v1.1.97.0 and was able to migrate all the files but the values for a custom choice column was not updated at the destination library for the pdf files, 2 jpg files as well as 1 text file. The word and excel documents did have their custom choice column successfully and accurately set at the destination library. I did mirror the same library settings at the destination site as the source and the migration job did complete successfully.

Any help or insight to what might be causing this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Edited by PJ28 Tuesday, May 8, 2018 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 8:18 PM
  • hi, Pj28,

Is your issue fixed already? if not,
    Please share everything under C:\Users\%user name%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MigrationTool\admin@XXXX.onmicrosoft.com\WF_XXXXX folder to Migration dev servicing migration_team@microsoft.com.
    We would like to work with you to address the issue encountered in your migration.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:24 AM
  • .txt, .eml, .msg, .xls moved correctly
    pdf is not, you should review

• Edited by chinchin987 Monday, January 6, 2020 7:38 AM
    Monday, January 6, 2020 7:37 AM