none
how can I create a scrollable text box. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have a 4 page document, 2 pages are technical jargon. I would like to insert the 2 pages of  text into a text box. I need a scroll bar enabled for continuous reading. The text box should appear in the middle of my document.

Can someone walk me through how to create a simple Text box *(with up/down scrolls)in MS Word?

How would I move my existing text to the Text box? Copy/paste?

When I send my main document (to another user), do I highlight the Text box to copy?

Your "Body" text box is exactly what I'm looking to create.

Thanks.

Tc.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:16 AM

All replies

•      

Hi,

As far as I know, we can try to use the ActiveX control in the developer tool to insert a text box with scroll bars in Word. But for formatting text and viewing, using this method may be still inconvenient.
    You can refer to the following steps:
    1. Add the Developer Tools tab to Word
    Click File > Options > Customize Ribbon, check Developer tab to enable it, then click OK.

2. On the Word Ribbon, under tab Developer, click icon Legacy Tools. A drop-down menu appears. Click Text Box(ActiveX Control)

3. Word creates a text box field at the cursor position. By default, the text box is opened in the design mode. You can expand the control to the desired size.
    4. To change the properties of the text box, select the text box and then click Properties. The Properties sheet appears. You will want to change the EnterKeyBehavior, MultiLine and ScrollBars properties.
    Set the ScrollBar property to Both, Horizontal, Vertical etc according to your own needs.

5. Exit design mode by clicking on the button under the Developer tab and you should now have an editable and scrollable multi-line text box in your document.

To edit content, you need to right-click the text box and click on TextBox Object> Edit. If the property value sets the Enterkeybehavior “True”, you can use Ctrl+V to paste.

In addition, there are related cases mentioned in MSDN: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/36e31527-bd1d-4ad3-9bcc-e3fe05a7aadc/how-to-add-a-text-box-with-scroll-bar-inside-a-word-document?forum=worddev
    As for how to highlight these content, you can set the text box border and background color in the properties. 
    Note: If you use ActiveX Control, you need to save the document as a file format that supports macros, such as .docm.

If you have any question about Office, please feel free to let me know.
    Best Regards,
    Herb Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Microsoft Team

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Hello,

Any update here? Have you solved the problem? Is my answer helpful to you?

I'm looking forward to your response. If you have any additions, or update, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Herb Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Microsoft Team

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams
    Monday, August 27, 2018 10:00 AM
  • Thank you very much!

Best,

Marco

Saturday, November 30, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Do be aware that Active-X objects aren't supported on the Mac platform. If your document needs to be useable on Macs, therefore, Herb's approach won't work.

An alternative that would work on most PCs and Macs is to use a dropdown content control, with one dropdown line per text line, with the document saved in the docx format. The dropdown scroll bar will only appear if there are too many rows to display otherwise. It also leaves the last-selected line active if the document is saved then re-opened - which may or may not be desirable.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:24 AM