Work Folders: How do I configure the password policies

Question

• Documentation on Work Folders state the following policies apply when I select "Automatically lock screen, and require a password":

The password policy enforces the following configuration on user PCs and devices:

• Minimum password length of 6
    • Autolock screen set to be 15 minutes or less
    • Maximum password retry of 10 or less

Is there a way to customize these settings to comply to corporate policies that may be different from these defaults?

Ray - Author of Windows 7 for XP Professionals

Monday, October 14, 2013 9:32 AM

Answers

• I got in contact with the product team about the question and received the following answers.

For devices that are NOT domain joined, there is no way to customize the default policies.

For devices that are domain joined, these policies can be configured in the domain as Tim already mentioned.

• Marked as answer by NextXPertMVP Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:34 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:34 PM

All replies

• All settings can be configured via group policies.  If all machines are part of an Active Directory domain, these can be readily managed separately.  It's even possible to have different settings for different groups or individuals.  The individual setting up the group policies could ensure the rules meet the above, if those are the minimums, but specific groups could have more stringent settings, if desired.  For example, it is not uncommon to have Administrator password lifetimes shorter that users and a longer password.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Tim.

I seems to me you are referring to password policies for domain users who logon to the domain.

With Work Folders, data can be synchronized with a non-corporate device where a user logs on locally. The settings I refer to are applied to that local user and have nothing to do with domain password policies.

Work Folders policies have a lot in common with Exchange ActiveSync Policies that apply to mobile devices. I cannot find any references in Group Policies referring to the Work Folders policies. Maybe there is a link with Exchange for these policies, but I have not been able to verify that.

Exchange can be used to force a remote wipe for Work Folders. It would not be a real surprise if there is a link with Exchange ActiveSync Policies for these settings.

Maybe someone from Microsoft can confirm the real status.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:07 PM
  • I got in contact with the product team about the question and received the following answers.

For devices that are NOT domain joined, there is no way to customize the default policies.

For devices that are domain joined, these policies can be configured in the domain as Tim already mentioned.

• Marked as answer by NextXPertMVP Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:34 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:34 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for your sharing. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be very happy to help.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:09 AM