none
The operation failed because of a protection agent failure RRS feed

• Question

• We are using DPM Server 2007 with the service pack and hot fix 940349 runnning on Storage Server 2003. The host to protect is Windows 7 (x64).

The host PC was not visible to the DPM system when I tried to install the Agent; so I carried out a manual install. Once the agent was installed I could add the host to the DPM server; it then identified that the agent was an older version, and a newer one available. This was updated automatically. The host now shows up in list of agents as "OK".

However, when I try to create a new protection group (or add the new host to an existing protection group), then it produces the error below. If I ignore it, it allows a drill down to the C drive, but won't allow me to go any further.

I've checked the DCOM settings, and they are as defined in the troubleshooting DPM guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb963868.aspx I've also checked the security accounts for remote access and these are all as defined. The unit has no removable drives; however, there were some mapped drives, which I have now removed. There are no errors in the event viewer, and the DNS settings are correct.

Have spent some time looking through the rest of the forum entries and there are a number of similar (but not quite the same issues); and so far none of the suggested fixes has made a difference. I am really stumped on this one; if anyone has any idea what to try next, I'd be greatful.

Thanks.

Tony

The full error message:

"The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. Retry the operation.  ID: 998 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990A61"

Friday, December 16, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• Is the Windows 7 x64 on the same domain as your DPM server?

Which is the DPM version you are running (build number). You can get that by clicking on the i icon of the DPM 2007 Administrator Console

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:05 AM