Insert logo into word table RRS feed

• Question

• I've created an invoice in XL which includes my company logo roughly 7cm x 7cm (overlaps 4 columns by 10 rows).  The image pastes in quite simply and its placed in the exact required position using the keyboard arrow keys.

I've created the same invoice in Word, using tables, and I want to insert the logo over a similar space in the table (4 columns by 10 rows).  This space is in the upper right quadrant of the table.  It must not have any affect on the other parts of the table once inserted.  Is it possible to do this in Word 2010?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:41 AM

Answers

• 1. Yes it's possible.

Just click in the cell into which you wish to insert the logo (I inserted a .png file when testing this answer) then:-

Insert tab

Illustrations group

Click on:-

Picture

The:-

Insert Picture

- window should open.

2. In the:-

Insert Picture

- window in the field called:-

File name:

- type in the full path and file name of the logo that you wish to insert.

Once this has been done click on:-

Insert

The picture should now be inserted into the table cell.

You will probably need to adjust its size and position.

Does that answer your question?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:05 AM
  • When you insert an image, any number of things can happen. If the image is inserted:

1. inline with text into a Word table and the cell height & width are:
    (a) fixed, the image will resize to fit the space available;
    (b) not fixed, the cell will expand as much as it can to accommodate the image.

2. square or tight into a Word table and the cell height & width are:
    (a) fixed, the image will be inserted at up to 100% scaling, with parts of it disappearing behind cells to the right and overlaying cells below;

3. inline with text outside a table, when dragged into the table where the cell height & width are:
    (a) fixed, the image will be inserted at the original size, which will result in anything that doesn't fit the available space disappearing behind the adjoining cells;

4. square or tight outside a table, when dragged over the table where the cell height & width are:
    (a) fixed and the image anchor:
    (i) remains outside the table (e.g. due to anchor locking), part or all of the table will re-locate
    (ii) moves inside the table, the image will be inserted at the original size, with parts of it disappearing behind cells to the right and overlaying cells below
    (b) not fixed, and the image anchor:
    (i) remains outside the table (e.g. due to anchor locking), the table will resize
    (ii) moves inside the table, the image will be inserted at the original size, with the column width expanding to accommodate the image, which will also overly the rows below.

Given the above, it's best to structure the table (e.g. by splitting/merging cells) so that the image can be inserted in-line into a cell whose row height and column width are fixed. Alternatively, insert the image outside the table, change it's wrap format to 'in front of text', then drag it over the table.

Note: Some of the square & tight behaviour described above is also affected by whether the image has the 'layout in table cell' property checked.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:55 PM

All replies

• 1. Yes it's possible.

Just click in the cell into which you wish to insert the logo (I inserted a .png file when testing this answer) then:-

Insert tab

Illustrations group

Click on:-

Picture

The:-

Insert Picture

- window should open.

2. In the:-

Insert Picture

- window in the field called:-

File name:

- type in the full path and file name of the logo that you wish to insert.

Once this has been done click on:-

Insert

The picture should now be inserted into the table cell.

You will probably need to adjust its size and position.

Does that answer your question?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:05 AM
  • When you insert an image, any number of things can happen. If the image is inserted:

1. inline with text into a Word table and the cell height & width are:
    (a) fixed, the image will resize to fit the space available;

2. square or tight into a Word table and the cell height & width are:
    (a) fixed, the image will be inserted at up to 100% scaling, with parts of it disappearing behind cells to the right and overlaying cells below;

3. inline with text outside a table, when dragged into the table where the cell height & width are:
    (a) fixed, the image will be inserted at the original size, which will result in anything that doesn't fit the available space disappearing behind the adjoining cells;

4. square or tight outside a table, when dragged over the table where the cell height & width are:
    (a) fixed and the image anchor:
    (i) remains outside the table (e.g. due to anchor locking), part or all of the table will re-locate
    (ii) moves inside the table, the image will be inserted at the original size, with parts of it disappearing behind cells to the right and overlaying cells below
    (b) not fixed, and the image anchor:
    (i) remains outside the table (e.g. due to anchor locking), the table will resize
    (ii) moves inside the table, the image will be inserted at the original size, with the column width expanding to accommodate the image, which will also overly the rows below.

Given the above, it's best to structure the table (e.g. by splitting/merging cells) so that the image can be inserted in-line into a cell whose row height and column width are fixed. Alternatively, insert the image outside the table, change it's wrap format to 'in front of text', then drag it over the table.

Note: Some of the square & tight behaviour described above is also affected by whether the image has the 'layout in table cell' property checked.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, February 21, 2014 11:55 PM