Coexistence - FrontEnd and Persistent Chat Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I currently rolled out 2 FE Enterprise servers and 2 Persistenct Chat servers. Business can not afford the additional licenses so we want to move the PChat servers to coexists on the FrontEnd servers. I know the Standard versions can do this, but these are Enterprise, I wouldn't think it would matter but can't find any info.

Thanks

Monday, December 5, 2016 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Scoth Tech,

Collocating Persistent Chat on Enterprise Edition front end servers is not supported and i dont believe SfB Topology would even allow you to do this. Enteprise Edition has to have seperate Persistent chat servers.

Persistent chat role collocation is only supported for Standard edition front end servers. The below should help confirm https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398500.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Thanks,

Martin

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Tuesday, December 6, 2016 10:14 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2016 5:13 PM
  • I will suggest, you take one of the pChat servers from the pChat pool, install SE FE on that server and then collocate pChat server on that server, move CMS to this server then you can remove the 3 additional servers.

If your business needs DR feature (on FE and pChat), you can install an additional SE FE on one of the other servers and collocate pChat on that one as well.

Same featureset, almost same level of security (DR is not HA) and your business will save a server license.

Kenneth ML || Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click Vote on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click Mark As Answer.

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:24 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2016 7:45 PM