none
External email delivery is very slow

Question

• I have a fully patched Exchange 2013 server.  I have a Send connector that is set to deliver to a Smarthost  (Barracuda Networks).  In the last two weeks I have see that delivery of emails to external email addresses is taking a very long time to deliver (over 10 minutes at times).  The emails sit in the que on the exchange server in a READY state.  Restarting the transport service and restarting the server make no difference.

TIA Larry

Larry D.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi.

Please take headers from email when delivered to external mailbox.

https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/ You choose Message Header Analyzer. 

Maybe you have problem with queue on smart-host.

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:02 PM
  • I did what you said and see the following:

But I am not sure what this is telling me. Is the delay on my Exchange or on the Smarthost?  Thanks.

Larry D.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:49 PM

• Larry D.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for contacting our forum.

Is "*.us-west2.cpmpute.amazonaws.com" you Exchange server? and is MX4.ess.sfj.cudaops.com the Barracuda Networks?

If so the delay is between your Exchange server and Barracuda Networks.

It's recommended to create a new testing send connector and bypass the Barracuda and check if the messages going out timely.

If the issue is narrowed down to the Barracuda and we need and check the seeting and contact the vendor to see anything worng and if it's need upgrade to the latest version.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:58 AM
  • I did that and bypassed Baracuda and the messages were delivered within seconds.  Barracuda is still saying its the Exchange server.

Larry D.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:26 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

Is there any devices or firewall between the Baracuda and Our Exchange server? If no, the issue could be on the Baracuda since our Exchange server can send messages within seconds.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for further update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. And if the replies has helped you, please help to mark as answer and it could be helpful for others.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:21 AM
  • I, as well as many others are leaning towards Barracuda as being the issue.

Larry D.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:07 PM
  • Thanks for your response, hope you can find the root cause.

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Friday, February 2, 2018 1:35 AM