none
Sharepoint Content Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an interesting query - perhaps the answer is straight or perhaps not.

We had a client who was using MS Project Server 2007 but also built an extensive SharePoint site in the same instance. I should not at this stage that the environment used WSS 3.0.

We have migrated the Project Server instance to 2010 without the SP content and would like to create a separate site now for the SharePoint piece.

To date I have moved the WSS 3.0 content DB to 2010, mounted and upgraded it to the SP web Application.

I am wondering if these efforts are in vain and if its possible to now provision a SharePoint team site using this content DB so as to access the data.

Please let me know if you have any answers, questions, comments, tips, pointers etc.

PS - I am aware that this postcrosses over into SharePoint v Project Server so it can be moved if required

Regards,

Shane

Shane O'Hanlon (Accenture)

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Shane,

If I understand correctly, you have migrated your 2007 PWA to 2010 without content database which had PWA site collection and also SharePoint Team Site. Content DB has been moved to different web application in 2010. Your question is whether you can use this content for team site or not?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Hi Hrishi - Hope you are well

You are correct in your assumption

Tks,

Shane

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Hi Shane,

Yes, everything is well here. Good to see you in the forum

Yes you can. Do you want to use same web application on which PWA is provisioned or different?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Need to use a different web application since its moving to 2010

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Yes, you can use different web application and attach this content database to it

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:31 PM
  • I have attached the content DB to the web application and upgraded it but how do I provision a site so that it access the content. When I create new sites, they are blank. Is there someway to create a site that accesses the content of the old 2007 one? Thanks, Shane

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Are you referring to Project Workspaces ?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Its a sub site on the PWA URL where extensive SharePoint content has been created. I'd like to link a new site created with this content DB so this content is accessible.

Tks,

Shane

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:00 PM
  • In that case you may able to use SharePoint PowerShell

1. First create new  temporary web application and attached content database from where you need to restore SharePoint Site

2. Open SharePoint PowerShell using Run as administrator option, execute following command to backup your content

Backup-SPSite -Identity http://servername/pwa/mysite -Path "c:\backup\mysite.bak"

3. Create web application with new database which will host SharePoint content backed up using previous step

4. Execute following PowerShell command to restore

Restore-SPSite -Identity http://servername/mysite -Path "c:\backup\mysite.bak"

If PowerShell doesn't work for you then you could try STSADM

stsadm -o export -url "http://servername/pwa/mysite" -filename "c:\backup\mysite.bak"

stsadm -o import -url "http://servername/mysite" -filename "c:\backup\mysite.bak"

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:55 AM