Automatic client upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! We have in Our site enabled Automatic Client Upgrade, but I was curious about one thing.

I upgraded to CM 2012 SP1 CU3 on Friday, but in the console the oldest Version is still displayed. Will this even work? I was expection Version 5.00.7804.1400 displayed here

1. What methods are the to update the clients automatically with SCCM 2012

2. What methods are there to install it to new Devices?

Freddy

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:05 AM

Answers

• You'll need to send out a package to upgrade the clients. Automatic upgrades do not work for CU's. (silly right?)

For new clients you can add the update to the client install folder and specify the PATCH= property in the install command line.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:15 PM

All replies

• You'll need to send out a package to upgrade the clients. Automatic upgrades do not work for CU's. (silly right?)

For new clients you can add the update to the client install folder and specify the PATCH= property in the install command line.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:15 PM
  • Ok, thx for the reply.

There are issues regarding this that make me a bit confused.

1. The settings that enable Client Push installation - Enable Automatic site-wide Client push installation. Does that apply for the RTM Version only, or CUs aswell?

2. Software Update-Based Client installation, applies only for RTM too? It says 5.00.7804.1000 in the available Version, nothing in Published Version.

3. Why the PATCH property in the install command line? The Version of the ccmsetup.exe file in the \\siteserver\sitecode\client\ccmsetup.exe is already 5.00.7804.1400

Freddy

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:32 PM
  • I have a question about this particular setting.  Is this option ONLY for upgrading existing clients?  I am under the impression that is the case, but am not sure.  Additionally, are there any downsides to enabling "upgrade client automatically when new clients are available", other than if you schedule it to upgrade in too short of a time span you flood the network?  For instance, does this do any good in an environment where the client installation of choice is through SUP?  Are there client installation methods with which this is not compatible are are there situations where I would NOT want to enable this?  It is currently disabled in our environment.  Thank you.
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:00 PM