none
Windows 10 and roaming profiles RRS feed

• Question

• I'd be able to call MS directly about this except we haven't purchased the server software yet.

TL;DR summary

Right now my test environment consists of an HP ProLiant server, (DL380 G5) running the 180 day trial version of server 2012 R2

I have a single client running Windows 10 (volume license)

I came across this KB article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3056198

It's not exactly clear to me if this article is saying that;

a: Your roaming profile for your client will only be applied when you log into a server if the pairing is correct.

or,

b. you must be using Technical Preview to use roaming profiles among Windows 10 clients.

The Gorey details:

Server: Used HP ProLiant DL380 G5 2x quad-core Xeon 32GB ECC (Registered) RAM Windows 2012 R2 Essentials (180-day trial version) Server is running as AD Domain Controller, DNS and file sharing are running and working.

Client: Dell OptiPlex GX 620 Slim Desktop (IOW 3x half-height slots for cards and a full (Desktop) sized optical drive) Pentium D 2.8 Ghz, 2 GB RAM

I have joined the client to the domain, but when I set the user account to use a roaming profile, and the server creates a subfolder of \\%servername%\%sharename%\%username%\ but it never gets populated with anything. When I log into the client computer I get an error about the online profile being unavailable, and I've been logged in with the local profile. and it always takes a while, (I assume something has to time-out before it resorts to using the local profile.

So the question is, If we are going to deploy the server in conjunction with rolling out windows 10 to all the clients, do I need to wait for server 2016 if we also want to deploy roaming profiles?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:57 PM

Answers