none
How to recalculate an existing Baseline (due to changed Std Rates) without re-baselining? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I baselined my project using a set of Standard Rates, however these have now changed. How do I get MSProject to re-calculate my existing Baseline without having to re-baseline?

I can't re-baseline because the project has commenced and I've begun entering 'Actual hours' against tasks. Some tasks have taken longer than budgeted to complete and if i re-baseline MSProject will set these hours as the new baseline. I want to retain the existing Work and Actual hours but have the existing baseline reflect the new Standard Rates.

thanks

Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Here is my recommendation:

1.  Enter the new rates into the cost rate tables with the dates that they take effect. 

2.  Update your project with all current data (all of your actuals).

3.  Select all tasks that are not yet started.

4.  Activate the Set Baseline dialog box and select the option to overwrite the current baseline with the selected tasks.

There will be some variations on tasks that are in-progress during the time the new rates take effect, but this will give you new baseline costs for any task yet to be started.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Scott, depending on how you want to use the baseline information, you might consider snapping into one of the secondary baseline sets (e.g. Baseline 1). This would at least capture the new standard cost information although of course the timing might well be different from the initial baseline information. It would probably distort your Earned Value calculations somewhat.

If there is a future applicability date for the new standard rates, this would ensure that historical costs do not get recalculated.

Graham

Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:56 PM