Setup ATA Gateway on Hyper-V where my DC's are hosted on different Host ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I need to setup ATA Gateway for monitoring my DC's but my DC's are hosted on hyper-v and on different host. ATA Lightweight Gateway is not the option I'm looking for , is  it possible to configure ATA Gateway on different Host ? If yes please provide me any reference link to configure and the requirements for it.

In case not possible please let me know the workaround to achieve the same.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Rahul,

Firstly, I assumed that both the ATA Gateway and DC are deployed in the VMs on two Hyper-V hosts, correct?

If so, I would highly recommend that you deploy ATA Gateway on the same host as DC. I think that this is the easiest way.

If the method above is not acceptable, you may see the following article, which can guide you to capture the mirrored traffic from another server on Hyper-V VM.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2015/10/16/setting-up-port-mirroring-to-capture-mirrored-traffic-on-a-hyper-v-virtual-machine/

Based on the method in the article, you should configure the port mirroring for the lightweight gateway on the physical switch, and configure the port mirroring for the ATA Center on the virtual network adapter. 

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update.

Yes both the ATA Gateway and DC are deployed in the VMs on VMware.

Let me give you more detail about the environment I'm working on:

1. Single Forest Domain
    2. 3 Domains
    3. We have approx 100+ DC's , DC's are hosted on VMware, HYPER-V and Physical Servers. Mixed environment.
    4. I have 2 DC's per host, so assume we have 40 different host + Physical server DC's.
    5. We are not looking for ATA Lightweight Gateway deployment.

Currently major concern here is Port Mirroring will work for this type of mixed environment. Or we have to go with ATA Lightweight Gateway deployment only.

Please let me know for your suggestion and recommendations.

Friday, September 22, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Hello Rahul,

Firstly, ATA Gateway can process more packets than ATA Lightweight Gateway based on the capacity limit. Additionally, it's not necessary to install program on the DC. Therefore, from my own opinion, ATA Gateway is the preferred choice.

For the port mirroring, as for as I know, Hyper-V does't support cross-host port mirroring between VMs, and have no idea about VMWare. I think you can deploy ATA Gateways on each host, on which the DC sits. You can deploy ATA Gateways by using script in batch easily. More details, please refer to here.

For the physical DCs, you can either use ATA Lightweight Gateway, or configure port mirroring on the physical switch by using ATA Gateway.

It's just my personal opinion for the above, and hope it helps.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:13 AM