none
IPAM - Failed to update server in database RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 servers set up in IPAM for DHCP management, etc.

Had a certificate problem on one of the domain controllers so rather than troubleshoot - it was easier just to demote and rebuild.  After rebuilding I went to add this new server to IPAM.  First the old server was still listed in IPAM so I removed the old server.

I reused the same name on the new DC.

I have the new server added to IPAM - however only DC is selected and the data retrieval status is "Not started".

If I edit the server and select DHCP - I get an error "Failed to update server in database. Please see the details" - detail are "The transaction has aborted"

My assumption is that the old server is still in the database??  Either way - does anyone have any guidance on how to resolve?

Thanks
    John

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 4:12 PM

All replies

• PS - I have removed the server from IPAM a few times and re-added.  I get the same results.  Data Retrieval says not started, and cant added DHCP or DNS to server management.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 4:13 PM
  • anyone have any ideas on this?  I need to get IPAM back working with the secondary DHCP server so that I can set up failover.

JD

Thursday, September 7, 2017 7:22 PM
  • Hi John,

You may try to clean up server metadata:

Clean Up Server Metadata

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 3:00 AM
  • I don't think this is an issue with AD - I think this is an issue in the IPAM database.

Thanks

John

Friday, September 8, 2017 12:44 PM
  • Update -

Contacted MS Support on this and they have not been able to find the root cause or a fix yet.

Things we have tried.

Remove Server and re-add (did this prior to contacting MS - didn't work either)

Packet captures to verify the IPAM server and the new server are talking (they are)

Turn off firewall to rule that out (didn't help)

Move database to SQL server so we can look at DB (cant do that since it requires SQL enterprise and we only have standard servers)

Remove database and recreate (have not gone down this road completely as it doesn't seem like a fix, what is to stop it happening again and having to start from scratch again)

They are engaging senior techs but this clearly looks like a stale entry in the database preventing the creation of the new server in the database.  Need a way to open and clean out DB orphaned entry.

Will update when I have a fix.

John

Monday, September 11, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Hi John,

>>Will update when I have a fix.

I am sorry that this issue still hasn't been resolved. Did you have any updates?

Your sharing will be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 15, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Update -

Ticket still open with MS.   Appears to be DB related so they had to engage a SQL guy.  This took about 2-3 weeks.  Spent a good day just trying to figure out how to connect to the IPAM database.  Downloaded SQL management tools and then connected with the following string.

\\.\pipe\microsoft##WID\tsql\query

Ran the profiler while recreating the error and he is analyzing.

Will update when issue is found.

Thanks

John

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 5:48 PM
  • MS Support was unable to resolve the issue (at least in a timely manner).  After having the ticket open for a month with no progress I have asked them to close the ticket.

Removed IPAM feature - rebooted - readded IPAM feature and it added just fine.  99% sure it was a problem with an orphaned record in the DB but according to MS support that was not the case.  They wanted me to look at the network again...   at that point I had them close ticket.  Its not a network issue.  Re installation of the IPAM service proves that.  Either way - I will start from scratch. Awesome....

PS...  MS you need to allow SQL Standard for IPAM services.   Then at least we have more control over the database.  ie backup, restore, etc.  Two options - WID or SQL Enterprise...  seriously?

Friday, October 13, 2017 2:43 PM