none
Does Intune Install Endpoint Protection on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have some computer that are not on our domain.  They are running Windows 10.  I have set a policy to have Endpoint Protection installed as opposed to Windows Defender.  I've tried many things but Defender never installs.  I've seen posts that Endpoint Protection doesn't work on Windows 10.  Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.  It's amazing how difficult it is to find good documentation.

Thanks!!

Monday, August 15, 2016 11:26 PM

All replies

• Are you using the Intune client agent or enrolling the devices using MDM/OMA-DM?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

Windows Defender is a built-in software in Win10, there's no need to install. The Endpoint Protection policy you configured will be applied to windows defender in win10. Please also take a look at this blog for more details:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/janketil/2016/04/08/windows-10-managing-windows-defender-with-intune/

Best regards,

Jimmy 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:10 AM
  • I am using the Intune client agent where you just manually installed the Intune account cert manually.  I set up a policy which as Endpoint protection settings but it looks like those only apply to Windows 8.1 and earlier.  It's a little confusing.  I was expecting to see Endpoint Protection install but instead, it looks like it is using Windows Defender for Windows 10.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Right. As Jimmy pointed out, Windows Defender is used on Windows 10. Windows Defender is nearly the same product as SCEP so simply managing Defender is sufficient instead of replacing Defender itself. There are some slight difference when it comes to management, but those are minor.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

Final question and thanks for the feedback.  To centrally manage our few laptops that have Intune, it seems like Windows Defender is reporting back if there are issues but the results are showing up under Endpoint Protection which is confusing.  At this point, the laptops are not on our domain and therefore not Azure AD joined and I think that's where it gets confusing.  In the olden days, Endpoint did install on Windows 7 on laptops that were not joined to the domain but it looks like Microsoft changed that.

Thanks!!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

Final question and thanks for the feedback.  To centrally manage our few laptops that have Intune, it seems like Windows Defender is reporting back if there are issues but the results are showing up under Endpoint Protection which is confusing.  At this point, the laptops are not on our domain and therefore not Azure AD joined and I think that's where it gets confusing.  In the olden days, Endpoint did install on Windows 7 on laptops that were not joined to the domain but it looks like Microsoft changed that.

Thanks!!

Hi Johnny,

I'm sorry, could you please provide a bit more detailed info about your question?

Best regards,

Jimmy  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 19, 2016 7:17 AM