none
Number of file recovery points on secondary server RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently configured two DPM 2012 R2 servers for one of our customers. He doesn't want to run with tapes at all for some reason, but still would like to keep more than the limit of 64 RP's for files. Would it be possible to, for example, set retention range to 30 days on the primary DPM server, but set it to keep 90 RP's on the secondary server? I tried this scenario today and I don't get any errors/warnings, but need to know that it really works this way as I cannot wait 3 months to see if it works or not.

/Amir

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:26 PM

All replies

• Anyone?
    Monday, December 2, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hi

There's no way around the 64 max RPs (that's a VSS limitation) however you can be clever with it.

So as you get 64 RPs:

1. 2 RPs per day = max 32 days (express full)
    2. On the secondary server you can set 1 RP per day (express full) = 64 days

I don't have access to my DPM lab at the moment but you should be able to change the schedule of the express fulls to what you need.

Additionally you might want to look at Azure backup - you can have 120 day storage up there... (1 sync per day)

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:57 PM
  • OK, thank you for your reply. I have to run 1 RP each day with 30 days retention on the primary server, but would it be possible to alter the syncronize schedule on the secondary server - only to syncronize data i.e. once a week?

/Amir

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:19 AM
  • This should answer your problem:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj627982.aspx

You'll want to run synchronizations as often as you can (at least once per day) to allow for recovery from secondary dpm. You can create a recovery point from your syncs.

If you only had one express full per week then you could retain 64 weeks... That's a lot of data (potentially).

The best thing to do is set RPOs and RTOs. So for example if you need to restore from secondary how much data is the customer prepared to lose and how long are they prepared to wait for the recovery...

Remember to mark as answer (if it answers your question) :)

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:38 AM