Adding commands to list view RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have a foundation site where i need to hide the ribbon as most users have only read access to the informaion and it is felt that having a load of greyed out icons at the top of each page is not exactly desirable.

I have hidden the ribbon successfully to not editorial users but i would like to add two 'alert me' commands to the lists so users can subscibe by rss and email. I am not bothered as to whether these commands are just on the same page as the list webpart or in the webpart menu.

I have has a play with adding a custom action into a list view in VS 2010 but there is not a huge deal of help online about this.

the command/ url is easy enough /_layouts/listfeed.aspx?List={ItemId} 

Anybody got any pointers.

Thanks

Mark

Friday, July 2, 2010 11:12 AM

All replies

• other than hacking in a link to listfeed (which does work) i haven't found any more elegant solutions
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Mark,

Have you tried the SDK documentation on the ribbon? There is a walkthrough that shows how to add a button here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407458.aspx There is also a walkthrough of the Server ribbon XML here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff407290.aspx

This is a pretty straight-forward customization. You would simply need to change the RegistrationId to match your list type and change the CommandAction attribute to /_layouts/listfeed.aspx?List={ListId} or {ItemId}.

Let me know if you need any further help!

Thanks,

Dallas

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Dallas,

Thanks for your response, we have had to junk the ribbon for client users as it doesn't fit very well with how we want to display things.

Efectively we need the behavior of two ribbon commands on a page, i have got the javascript from the original commands from the rss and email options. i just need to work out a way of showing it or hiding it based on whether a list is selected.

Thanks

Mark

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 8:58 AM