no icons after sequencing office 2010 with the package accelerator deploying with SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have sequenced Office 2010 with the package accelerator from MS. I followed the instructions but I did do a bit of fooling around afterwards. I wanted to delete the MSOCache folder in VFS -> SFT_MNT to make my package smaller. I have a feeling that I used the "Files" tab and not the "VFS" tab to do it. I'm not sure what the difference is ?

I was able to deploy my package to a computer with SCCM. On the target PC when I go into Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Office. I don't have any icons for Access,Excel,InfoPath,OneNote,Outlook,Word,etc. If I click on them the applications do launch. In the "Microsoft Office 2010 Tools" folder I do have the icons for "Digital cert for VBA Projects","Microsoft Office 2010 Language Preferences", and "Microsoft Office 2010 Upload Center" but none for MS clip organizer and picture manager.I'm going to try a re-sequence without deleting anything.

I set the package to be deployed with RTSP but in SCCM I am using download and execute. Should I have set the package to be deployed via file ? I notice in the OSD the icon path is set to %SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/MSOFFICE Icons/ms app.ico". %SFT_MIME_SOURCE% does not appear to be set on my target PC. Do I need to set that to \\myserver\share ? I'm not sure if the issue is with me deleting the MSOcache folder or just some configuration of the OSD / icon path ?

Regards,
    Jack 

• Edited by JackORegan Monday, October 3, 2011 4:13 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:38 PM

Answers

• I set the package to be deployed with RTSP but in SCCM I am using download and execute. Should I have set the package to be deployed via file ? I notice in the OSD the icon path is set to %SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/MSOFFICE Icons/ms app.ico". %SFT_MIME_SOURCE% does not appear to be set on my target PC. Do I need to set that to \\myserver\share ? I'm not sure if the issue is with me deleting the MSOcache folder or just some configuration of the OSD / icon path ?

SCCM Client modifies the streaming path automatically to point to the local SCCM Client's cache in case of download & execute; what you have inside OSDs originally does not really matter as they are not used.

%SFT_MIME_SOURCE% is a special variable that "marks" the folder where package files are in, it is not used as a literal environment variable so no worries there; all is taken care by App-V automatically. (I heard that when this variable was originally introduced, it was actually a variable set in some developer's PC)

Since you use SCCM for deployment, I'd say that you may have inadvertently removed something from the package causing this issue instead of anything being wrong per se in the OSD files.

Do you, btw, have OSD files for the Excel, Word etc. amongst your package files?

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    http://blog.gridmetric.com/
    • Marked as answer by JackORegan Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:12 PM
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:20 PM
  • I have sequenced Office 2010 with the package accelerator from MS. I followed the instructions but I did do a bit of fooling around afterwards. I wanted to delete the MSOCache folder in VFS -> SFT_MNT to make my package smaller. I have a feeling that I used the "Files" tab and not the "VFS" tab to do it. I'm not sure what the difference is ?

If I'm not mistaken, with Package Accelerator you will get the shortcuts/applications that accelerator creator has defined. But the base Office apps should be part of those, of course!

What if you just create the package without deleting anything away?

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:14 PM
  • Hi Kalle,

Thanks for your help. I re-sequenced without touching anything this time. I deployed to my pc and got the same error. I deployed to a different PC and everything was working. I had the App-V USB tool from login consultants installed on my test pc. This tool changes some of the registry settings for the app-v client it might have messed something up.

Regards,
    Jack

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:12 PM

All replies

• I have sequenced Office 2010 with the package accelerator from MS. I followed the instructions but I did do a bit of fooling around afterwards. I wanted to delete the MSOCache folder in VFS -> SFT_MNT to make my package smaller. I have a feeling that I used the "Files" tab and not the "VFS" tab to do it. I'm not sure what the difference is ?

If I'm not mistaken, with Package Accelerator you will get the shortcuts/applications that accelerator creator has defined. But the base Office apps should be part of those, of course!

What if you just create the package without deleting anything away?

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:14 PM
  • I set the package to be deployed with RTSP but in SCCM I am using download and execute. Should I have set the package to be deployed via file ? I notice in the OSD the icon path is set to %SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/MSOFFICE Icons/ms app.ico". %SFT_MIME_SOURCE% does not appear to be set on my target PC. Do I need to set that to \\myserver\share ? I'm not sure if the issue is with me deleting the MSOcache folder or just some configuration of the OSD / icon path ?

SCCM Client modifies the streaming path automatically to point to the local SCCM Client's cache in case of download & execute; what you have inside OSDs originally does not really matter as they are not used.

%SFT_MIME_SOURCE% is a special variable that "marks" the folder where package files are in, it is not used as a literal environment variable so no worries there; all is taken care by App-V automatically. (I heard that when this variable was originally introduced, it was actually a variable set in some developer's PC)

Since you use SCCM for deployment, I'd say that you may have inadvertently removed something from the package causing this issue instead of anything being wrong per se in the OSD files.

Do you, btw, have OSD files for the Excel, Word etc. amongst your package files?

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    Monday, October 3, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Hi Kalle,

Thanks for your help. I re-sequenced without touching anything this time. I deployed to my pc and got the same error. I deployed to a different PC and everything was working. I had the App-V USB tool from login consultants installed on my test pc. This tool changes some of the registry settings for the app-v client it might have messed something up.

Regards,
    Jack

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:12 PM