none
Configuration manager client upgrade package delete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to clean up our environment as we have already updated a few times (2012 -> R2 -> SP1 -> CB 1606 -> CB1610) during last years.

We have different client related packages for which we don't know if they are still needed, especially the client upgrade package. I've found several links where they say that this "Configuration manager client upgrade" package is a hidden package, but we have 3  upgrade packages that are not hidden at all. See screenshot:

Both "CM C upgrade package" packages point to the same "clientupgrade" folder on the site server and the "CM upgrade" package points to the "client" folder. Some of these packages also have deployements with a very low successrate.

We would like to have 1 client package (and pilot package) but that is also not possible I think because we run OSD with "run from DP option", so we need a custom SCCM agent package to be able to create a local share on the DPs and we cannot change the default package. Is that correct?

So can we remove those upgrade packages or are these used during Client Upgrade? 

Thanks,

WiM

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:54 AM

Answers

• Yes, please don't change the default packages. Default client packages will be used in OSD task sequence and upgrade package is used when we enabled client upgrade.

As you've many client package, open each client package properties, check on Content Locations tag, if any client package is not on any DPs, then I think this package is not used and good to delete.

In my lab, the CM C upgrade Package is hidden and can only be seen in Monitoring - Distribution Status - Content Status. And for you, I think it's because that you've upgraded from versions to versions (migration may also used).

If you need to create a custom agent package, I suggest that you use the source the same with the client package:

\\siteserver\sms_<sitecode>\client

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:01 AM