Horrible: Printer Spooler Service Crash During Start Up RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Vista Ultimate and a few weeks ago I started getting an error "spooler subsystem app stopped working and was closed"  as soon as I boot into Windows. When I go to print or look in the "printers" section, it's empty. When I hit add printer I get "Windows can't open Add Printer. Local print spooler service is not running. Please restart spooler or restart machine." If I restart the machine I get the same error. So I have no printers and no way to add a printer. Brilliant. Thanks Vista!
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 6:49 AM

All replies

• Have the same problem as EricInLA, but I have installed Vista Business upgrade........... Have downloaded new Vista drivers for the printer, but they are useless for me since I'm not able to add a new printer. Same problems goes for connecting to a networkprinter. Anyone have any suggestions ??
    • Proposed as answer by slhoffman Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:06 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 12:13 PM
  • Staytune what anti-virus program do you use?  Is it Panda Antivirus and Firewall 2007 beta?  I know for a fact that this software interferes with the print spooler.  If you do have it, disable "Protection against unknown threats". 

Also, to get the print spooler working again, go into control panel - administrative tools - services - look for print spooler - right click and hit start.  See if the spooler will activate for you or reboot. It worked for me.

Good luck.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 5:20 PM
  •  

No antivirus installed and still having the spooler subsystem problem.  Printers: Lexmark C510 and HP1320 plugged in a wireless hub (TCP-LPR protocol).  Both of them were working the first time I installed Vista Ultimate x64.   Got a huge system crash (!!!!!!!!!!!! no comments) in between and I'm not able to print since the last installation even with ADOBE PDF writer or virtual printers like fineprint.  Still able to print if I map the printer via a share from another server.  Any help ! I'm loosing all my hairs.

Eric

Saturday, April 21, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Any word on this?! -- I have a print driver (Toshiba e351) that crashes the Vista Print Spooler service. It's great, the service starts, then crashes, if I RESTART it, it crashes. So now it's COMPLETELY USELESS.

The printer is attached to the computer by a network logon script, so the instant a Vista computer logs into Vista it's printer service gets nuked. We've since discovered the problem and have adapted the script to ignore Vista PC's, but I've still got a few machines that have an utterly neutered print function because it apparently didn't occur to anyone that a print driver could be defective!

So now I have a driver that crashes the spooler, but which can't be deleted because it crashes the Spooler Service. As far as I can tell, the problem is intractable short of re-installing Vista...

PLEASE HELP!

Thursday, April 26, 2007 4:25 PM
  • i am having the same problem, i not sure what to do, Do you know??? I am about ready to send the whole thing back. Rubbish operating system
    Monday, July 23, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Same problem. Also using Vista and Toshiba Printer (eStudio 520)
    This instruction in this link fixed it. Good luck!
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:18 AM
  • It worked! We have print! Thank you Eric from one Italian Australian and one Scottish Australian.

Good on ya!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:12 AM
  • It did NOT work for me.  I have been working on this problem for 3 days. I fixed it on one machine by adding the LPR and LPD services, and removing all printers from the registry.  My spooler service still crashes.  I'm about an inch away from recommending Linux to everyone.

This only happens on Vista machines, and Microsoft blames third-party drivers. What is the answer when all of the registry keys have been wiped out, the printer driver and spool folders have been cleaned, and all drivers have been removed from the system???

Help. Please.

Dave H.

Friday, March 7, 2008 10:36 PM
  •  

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but I had a toshiba 520 installed and my printer spooler kept crashing.  I right clicked on the printer and chose to 'pause printing'.  I was then able to delete the printer.  Make sure that the driver you use to reinstall is compatible with Vista.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:31 PM
  • it is really horrible, wish your laptop will be ok, my friend.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:31 AM
  • I just wanted to tell you thank you, thank you, thank you....that worked perfectly...I haven't been able to print in months and I am glad I found your entry. You saved the day!!!
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Hello, I used the following link to correct the spooler problem. It does it automatically for you and it worked great, hopefully it works for you guys too.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/printing_problems

Friday, June 11, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Wow thanks latinavaquerita..... that worked great for me fixed the problem!!! You Rock
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:00 PM