create database permission denied in database master RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed SQL server express 2008 as pre-requisite application and was able to login with windows authentication. When I launch the main application shortcut, it fails to launch prompting an error message stating that "CREATE DATABASE permission denied in dtabase master" as in above snapshot. Note: Permission is denied to create database only in System Contex. The same works fine with "Run as Administrator". I know there are different links for this issue. I tried all possible options but no luck. Could you please provide me with the exact solution.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 11:36 AM

Answers

• You can assign sysadmin role to this user, but if you do not want to make this user sysadmin you can assign this user a dbcreator role which will give this role enough permission to create a database on this server.

EXEC master..sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'dinesh', @rolename = N'dbcreator'
    GO

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:37 PM

All replies

• You can assign sysadmin role to this user, but if you do not want to make this user sysadmin you can assign this user a dbcreator role which will give this role enough permission to create a database on this server.

EXEC master..sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = N'dinesh', @rolename = N'dbcreator'
    GO

Please click Mark As Answer if my post helped.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 12:37 PM
  • Hi Rajesh,

Is there any update for this issue after you try Dinesh’s suggestion? If the issue persists, please provide us more information about it, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Icefan

Ice Fan
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Ice Fan Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:46 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:16 AM