problems moving public folders for 2k3 to 2k7 migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i'm having problems with moving the public folder from the 2k3 to 2k7, following the steps i've found on mig docs and googling for this issue and i cant seem to solve it, letme detail:

There are only 3 user created public folders, all with contacts, they weight less than a MB combined.

So first thing, iin E2k3 ESM i right click the public folder store and select "move all replicas", it works succesfully.

if i expand the pf store and check replicas i see a ton of system folders with 2 replicas.

i also check every user folder, change the replication to always and urgent and resend changes/synch content from 2k3 to 2k7

Now according to migration documents the "pf instances" should empty by itself after some time....

well it's been a day and in fact i see more items than before on the 2k3, if i expand the instances on the 2k7 i see 4/5 folders, none of the user ones!.

I also ran the moveallreplicas.ps1 script.

if i run Get-publicfolder -recurse |fl name,replicas i only get:

Name     : IPM_SUBTREE
    Replicas : {}the next step is apparantely to move the public folder "folder" itself from the 2k3 admin group to the 2k7, i can do that and it gives no error but i'm worried that if i decommision the 2k3 that it will all fail horribly.

¿whats going on, how can i move this thing for once?

Sunday, June 8, 2014 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hello and thanks for the prompt responses.

After some digging i found some strange occurence on my smart host: a ton of apparent mails originating from the e2003 server (mail flow should already be out of that server).

After reading your articles i saw that replication occurs via smtp, so i removed the smart host and now the event viewer filled with replication events and all folder practically dissapeared from source!.

Now... there are some remaining ones:

exchange v1
    oab v2
    oab v3a
    schedule+ first admin group
    and the user folders

do i wait for those to vanish or i can finish the move and decomisioning of 2003?

• Marked as answer by Eliminateur Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:59 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure you have added the Exchange 2007 in the Replication tab list of all folders in Exchange Server 2003.

In Exchange 2003, please increase the logging level to Maximum on the diagnostic logging categories: Replication Incoming Messages and Replication Outgoing Messages.

Here is a related article which can help you for your reference.

How to troubleshoot public folder replication problems in Exchange 2000 Server and in Exchange Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842273/en-us

Another useful article:

Some Public Folder content is not replicating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/dblanch/archive/2009/04/10/some-public-folder-content-is-not-replicating-from-exchange-2003-to-exchange-2007.aspx

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 9, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Hello and thanks for the prompt responses.

After some digging i found some strange occurence on my smart host: a ton of apparent mails originating from the e2003 server (mail flow should already be out of that server).

After reading your articles i saw that replication occurs via smtp, so i removed the smart host and now the event viewer filled with replication events and all folder practically dissapeared from source!.

Now... there are some remaining ones:

exchange v1
    oab v2
    oab v3a
    schedule+ first admin group
    and the user folders

do i wait for those to vanish or i can finish the move and decomisioning of 2003?

• Marked as answer by Eliminateur Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:59 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 1:26 PM