none
Autoruns64 bug

Question

• I just updated my version of Autoruns to the most recent (13.82).  This did resolve some unusual errors I was seeing when using Autoruns64, but one frustating error remains.  Whenever a listing includes the Windows\System32 path, if I right-click and select "Properties" I receive an error stating that the file cannot be found.

I noticed that the path mentioned as part of the error message has been transformed to include the virtual folder "Sysnative" in place of the original "System32", but I thought that was only to be used when a 32-bit process attempts to use a 64-bit dll in System32.  My understanding may well be faulty, but the error message that greets me is certainly not my imagination. Wink

The 32-bit version of Autoruns has no issues displaying the properties of any entry which includes the System32 folder in its path.

I tried to upload a screen-capture of what I am seeing, but the server gave me an error and would not upload it either as an image or as a zip file.

Regards,
    Bob
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 11:01 AM

All replies

• I was able to reproduce the bug/error message described by Bob in Autoruns64.exe v13.90.

For those impacted by this issue, it's worth considering whether you *really* should be running Autoruns64.exe. The *64.exe versions of the Sysinternals apps are designed for Nano Server editions of Windows which do not include the 32-bit subsystem. In all other cases, the non-*64.exe versions should work as expected (either by using "Sysnative" paths or actually dropping a 64-bit binary to disk and running that instead.  

Sunday, August 5, 2018 5:19 PM
  • Hi Bob,

MarkC from MSFT recently patched this bug in Autoruns v13.93. I've tested it on Windows 10 x64 VMs and file system redirector issue (reference to SysNative) no longer occurs.

Kyle

• Proposed as answer by Kyle Hanslovan Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:35 PM
  • Thanks for posting Kyle
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:51 PM