none
Linking between trunks and to external sites RRS feed

• Question

• How can you create links in the portal to external sites such as google?  I want users to use this as a landing page, but a lot of the content will be outside the UAG trunk: some on other trunks (which I will configure cross site SSO for) and some on external web sites.  I need to use the user authorisation functions to hide links from people who are not in certain AD groups, so not all users see all links.

This is one of those problems that is going to be glaringly obvious as soon as I see the answer, but I can't find out how to do this anywhere on the forums or google.  I originally thought it would be under a web application category but it doesn't seem to be

Thanks, Chris

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris

Follow these steps:

1.     Add a new application to your portal trunk, using the type Other Web App (portal hostname)

2.     On the Web Servers step of the Add Application Wizard, in the Addresses list, enter a dummy hostname address

3.     On the Portal Link step of the wizard, in the Application URL, delete the automatically created URL and instead enter the actual URL of the external site to which you want to direct your users.

4.     Choose YES on the “The application URL is not valid. Illegal server address” error message.

5.      Complete the wizard and activate the configuration

Some notes:

·        You will get some activation warning messages about the dummy server address you entered in step 2 above not being resolvable. 

·        You probably should select the option to open this site in a new browser window, otherwise, when accessed, the site will be contained in a frame within the UAG portal, and your users will get a Security Warning if the external application link points to an HTTP address, while your portal is accessed via HTTPS.

HTH,

-Ran

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, July 26, 2010 10:23 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris

Follow these steps:

1.     Add a new application to your portal trunk, using the type Other Web App (portal hostname)

2.     On the Web Servers step of the Add Application Wizard, in the Addresses list, enter a dummy hostname address

3.     On the Portal Link step of the wizard, in the Application URL, delete the automatically created URL and instead enter the actual URL of the external site to which you want to direct your users.

4.     Choose YES on the “The application URL is not valid. Illegal server address” error message.

5.      Complete the wizard and activate the configuration

Some notes:

·        You will get some activation warning messages about the dummy server address you entered in step 2 above not being resolvable. 

·        You probably should select the option to open this site in a new browser window, otherwise, when accessed, the site will be contained in a frame within the UAG portal, and your users will get a Security Warning if the external application link points to an HTTP address, while your portal is accessed via HTTPS.

HTH,

-Ran

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, July 26, 2010 10:23 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Thanks Ran. Wasn't as obvious as I expected!
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:30 PM