IE 11 Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, All.

I have a user running Costpoint 7 in IE 11 32bit, Windows 7 Ent x64, MSO 2013 x64. Whenever she finishes a timesheet and selects "new," IE crashes. Here are a few Event Viewer logs:

(14:47:16) (computer) said:
    Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.9600.16428, time stamp: 0x525b664c
    Faulting module name: MSHTML.dll, version: 11.0.9600.16428, time stamp: 0x525b9a19
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0013e40d
    Faulting process id: 0x14c0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d17f91da996539
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSHTML.dll
    Report Id: 09f7d058-ebaf-11e5-8e4c-80000b4c8c5d

(14:47:34) (computer) said:
    Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.9600.16428, time stamp: 0x525b664c
    Faulting module name: MSHTML.dll, version: 11.0.9600.16428, time stamp: 0x525b9a19
    Fault offset: 0x001060eb
    Faulting process id: 0x11ec
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d17fbbf520b398
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSHTML.dll
    Report Id: d9076c20-ebb7-11e5-8e4c-80000b4c8c5d

We've reset IE/cleared cache, uninstalled/reinstalled IE, Windows and GPO are all up to date. I did find the WER log but wasn't able to open it in Notepad, appcrashview or otherwise. Have I mentioned I have zero debugging experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-SM

Thursday, March 17, 2016 9:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

On the user client, ensure you are logged in under her account

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering"

close and reopen IE for the full changes to take affect.

Then

Tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons, locate all MS Office Addons (located under Microsoft) and ensure they are enabled (both 32 and 64bit editions if they are installed).

Locate Adobe Flash (32 and 64 bit) and ensure they are both enabled.

Locate any other addons from Deltek and ensure they are enabled.

Retest....

MSHTML errors are associated with Flash Active X controls, you may like to check for Adobe Flash updates from Start>Control Panel>Flash 32bit or Run Windows update which will include updates for Adobe Flash.

On the Adobe Flash 32 control panel there are also settings for "Allow programs to store information on this computer" (or words to that affect... I'm on winX) which you may like to turn off to prevent leaking sensitive information to unknown third parties.

during testing , in IE navigate to the Costpoint Web interface and first select the File>Properties menu to find out which IE security zone it is mapped to....

Post that information with your questions.

looking at the publishers support site.... http://www.deltek.com/support I assume that it should be mapped to the Internet security zone.

Also.... look at the IE address bar for the Content Filtering (ActiveX Filtering and Tracking Protection) icon .... it looks like blue circle with a line through it on the rhs of the IE address bar....

see How to use tracking protection and ActiveX filtering

of just click on the address bar icon to turn features on or off.

For issues involving third-party software or websites that use Internet Explorer you should consult the publisher's website and support forums in the first instance.http://www.deltek.com/support

they will have a better idea of known issues with their software and Internet Explorer than us.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, March 18, 2016 1:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

On the user client, ensure you are logged in under her account

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering"

close and reopen IE for the full changes to take affect.

Then

Tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons, locate all MS Office Addons (located under Microsoft) and ensure they are enabled (both 32 and 64bit editions if they are installed).

Locate Adobe Flash (32 and 64 bit) and ensure they are both enabled.

Locate any other addons from Deltek and ensure they are enabled.

Retest....

MSHTML errors are associated with Flash Active X controls, you may like to check for Adobe Flash updates from Start>Control Panel>Flash 32bit or Run Windows update which will include updates for Adobe Flash.

On the Adobe Flash 32 control panel there are also settings for "Allow programs to store information on this computer" (or words to that affect... I'm on winX) which you may like to turn off to prevent leaking sensitive information to unknown third parties.

during testing , in IE navigate to the Costpoint Web interface and first select the File>Properties menu to find out which IE security zone it is mapped to....

Post that information with your questions.

looking at the publishers support site.... http://www.deltek.com/support I assume that it should be mapped to the Internet security zone.

Also.... look at the IE address bar for the Content Filtering (ActiveX Filtering and Tracking Protection) icon .... it looks like blue circle with a line through it on the rhs of the IE address bar....

see How to use tracking protection and ActiveX filtering

of just click on the address bar icon to turn features on or off.

For issues involving third-party software or websites that use Internet Explorer you should consult the publisher's website and support forums in the first instance.http://www.deltek.com/support

they will have a better idea of known issues with their software and Internet Explorer than us.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, March 18, 2016 1:21 AM
  • Wondering whether anybody got a solution to this issue

I am also encountering similar problem when exporting to excel on a large spreadsheet with more than 8000 rows.  Small file export works ok without IE crashing.

This only happens when excel 2013 is installed on windows 2012 R2 or windows 8.  Again IE 11 does not crash on windows 7 and excel 2012

This is error I get on event viewer

Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.9600.18124, time stamp: 0x5641278d

Faulting module name: MSHTML.dll, version: 11.0.9600.18378, time stamp: 0x575c4615
    Fault offset: 0x001c9eed
    Faulting process id: 0x88c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d28d0fec41a471
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSHTML.dll
    Report Id: ae019582-f903-11e6-8194-3e73ca4e1ef8
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Please and kindly help

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:07 PM
  • Small file export works ok without IE crashing.

Does that mean the export could be done in two steps of 4000 rows each?

Another potential workaround might involve the 64-bit option.  E.g. see if you can reproduce your symptom in Enhanced Protected Mode (in a 64-bit OS)

Otherwise it looks like there are more recent versions of those modules which you could test.  So perhaps also you should compare what version you are running in the OS where it works.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:31 AM
    Answerer