none
Display project milestones in color blocks RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project 2013 Standard to create a Project Portfolio Dashboard.

I want to create 4 Phase milestones and color code my timeline to show the  4 project phases within each of my project's timeline bar. This should display one bar per project with the name of the Project and 4 colors dividing the Project Bar to represent each of the project phases. 

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Tamiz,

Unfortunately you cannot do that with the timeline feature. 1 project will be displayed as 1 bar. The only workaround would be just in case your projects are not running in parallel then you could insert the 4 projects in a master project and put the 4 bars on the same line, looking like one unique bar.

Since you're using the standard version, I think Visio is still your best option.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCP |

• Marked as answer by tamiz Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Tamiz,

You just need to create the 4 tasks that represent the each of the projects, or insert the project as a sub project. link the projects accordingly then add each of the tasks/projects to the timeline (right click, add to timeline)  you can then click on the task/project within the Timeline then use the Paint can tool to color each task (font section of the 'Timeline Tools 'Format' ribbon.

Let me know if this helps.. it should get you part of the way there.

• Proposed as answer by Tom_Henry Monday, October 20, 2014 10:46 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 10:10 PM
  • This does not work. 4 projects creates 4 project bars on the timeline. I am trying to achieve 1 bar with 4 colors.

I have 30 projects in a Portfolio that are active at any given time. I want 1 bar per project to display.

I want that 1 bar per project to be 4 different colors that are date driven by the Phase milestones.

I can do this in Visio but it is a very manual effert as, each time a project completes and a new project starts up, or a date changes, I have to make manual adjustments to the Visio drawing.

I should be able to accomplish this using the new Timeline features of Project 2013. I think.

Sorry I don't think my question was clear when I first posted it.

tamiz

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:21 PM
  • Hi Tamiz,

Unfortunately you cannot do that with the timeline feature. 1 project will be displayed as 1 bar. The only workaround would be just in case your projects are not running in parallel then you could insert the 4 projects in a master project and put the 4 bars on the same line, looking like one unique bar.

Since you're using the standard version, I think Visio is still your best option.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by tamiz Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:25 PM
  • :-( OK. Thanks for the quick response.

Is it possible with Project 2013 Professional or do I have to have an EPM Server?

tamiz

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:37 PM
  • You're welcome.

You'll have exactly the same feature with Project Pro 2013, but connected with Project Server 2013, you'll be able to create customized reports with SSRS which will give you much more flexibility.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:43 PM