Can I add secondary site (managment point, deployment point) to a standalone SCCM 2012 primary server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently I have SCCM 2007R2(32 bit), single server install, which is working properly along with some remote offices.

I want to deploy new server with SCCM 2012 sp 1, If I select the option install standalone primary server, will it later on let me add secondary sites for remote locations (if needed in the future)

One of our site in different country would be having lots of users in future and I would require to deploy lot of packages, FEP client in the coming months.

Will it let me install just a deployment point for remote office and let me cover the deployments over secondary ite.

Thanks in Advance

• Edited by Beadmin Monday, March 25, 2013 10:23 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 10:19 AM

Answers

• Configuration Manager 2012 will allow you to do either option down the line.  It's part of allowing for growth within your organization and your architecture. 

Before you decide on installing a Secondary Site, you should make sure that a distribution point won't do all you need it to do at that remote site first.  Distribution points within 2012 have throttling options to control network bandwidth, and function as PXE points (2 big reasons for Secondary Sites in 2007).  Additionally, by choosing to use a distribution point, you can eliminate a layer of SQL replication necessary for Secondary Sites. 

• Proposed as answer by Amnon Feiner Monday, March 25, 2013 4:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Beadmin Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:46 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 4:18 PM

All replies

• Configuration Manager 2012 will allow you to do either option down the line.  It's part of allowing for growth within your organization and your architecture. 

Before you decide on installing a Secondary Site, you should make sure that a distribution point won't do all you need it to do at that remote site first.  Distribution points within 2012 have throttling options to control network bandwidth, and function as PXE points (2 big reasons for Secondary Sites in 2007).  Additionally, by choosing to use a distribution point, you can eliminate a layer of SQL replication necessary for Secondary Sites. 

• Proposed as answer by Amnon Feiner Monday, March 25, 2013 4:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Beadmin Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:46 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Thanks Derek,

Looks like I would go this way, when I would need I would simply deploy a distribution point at remote office,

we don't use sccm too much, all its used to deploy some packedges and control FEP.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:48 AM