none
XSLT in SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have heard lot of people saying that XSLT is no more in SharePoint 2013, and instead of XSLT, there will be Java-Script based Client Side rendering. Is this true?

Thank you!

Regads,

Ginni Sharma

Ginni Atul Sharma

Thursday, July 3, 2014 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Ginni,

A lot of what you used to do in XSLT in SharePoint has indeed fallen by the wayside. A lot of what used XSLT in search is now done using Display Templates and in my opinion is much better for it.

I would heartily recommend that you take a look at blogs by people such as Matthew McDermott, Mikael Svenson and Elio Struyf for ways you can use Display Templates and search together.

You were also able to use XSLT with the list view web part, and whilst you still can, that feature is deprecated and you are better off using JavaScript Display Templates and the JSLink webpart property. Display Templates are far easier to write and deploy than XSLT ever was. Wes Preston has a great primer on his blog as to how these display templates work with JSLink, and I have a few articles on mine, specifically around some of the issues you come across using multiple display templates on a single page.

There is also a community repository of useful display templates that we started in April/May of this year that may be useful to you.

Kind regards

Paul.

Please ensure that you mark a question as Answered once you receive a satisfactory response. This helps people in future when searching and helps prevent the same questions being asked multiple times.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Ginni,

A lot of what you used to do in XSLT in SharePoint has indeed fallen by the wayside. A lot of what used XSLT in search is now done using Display Templates and in my opinion is much better for it.

I would heartily recommend that you take a look at blogs by people such as Matthew McDermott, Mikael Svenson and Elio Struyf for ways you can use Display Templates and search together.

You were also able to use XSLT with the list view web part, and whilst you still can, that feature is deprecated and you are better off using JavaScript Display Templates and the JSLink webpart property. Display Templates are far easier to write and deploy than XSLT ever was. Wes Preston has a great primer on his blog as to how these display templates work with JSLink, and I have a few articles on mine, specifically around some of the issues you come across using multiple display templates on a single page.

There is also a community repository of useful display templates that we started in April/May of this year that may be useful to you.

Kind regards

Paul.

Please ensure that you mark a question as Answered once you receive a satisfactory response. This helps people in future when searching and helps prevent the same questions being asked multiple times.

Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:10 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for responding; I sincerely appreciate it!

Yes, I agree with the concept of Display Templates in search; however, if I have to edit a simple page in designer using XSLT, can I still edit it in the same manner as I used to do in SharePoint 2010? I noticed that there are no design view and split view in SPD 2013.

Thank you!

Regards,

Ginni Sharma

Ginni Atul Sharma

Friday, July 4, 2014 7:45 AM
  • I can't think of what simple pages need any XSLT modified but yes, it can still be done if you can find any laying about.

The design view is gone, which is a shame as it was very handy.

Friday, July 4, 2014 7:56 AM