How do I setup an SMTP Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This may not be the best place to ask, but how do I setup an SMTP Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64? What pre-requisites are there?

Thanks

Friday, December 24, 2010 1:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can add the web server (IIS) role  with IIS 6 Management Compatibility option selected and also add both SMTP Server and SMTP Server Tools .

The SMTP service is actually managed through IIS 6.0, not IIS 7.0

Start > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 Manager.

Expand the server tree you will see SMTP virtual server, which IIS uses to send mail.

Right-click on it and select Properties.

Click the Delivery tab, and then the Outbound Security button. We want Basic Authentication.

Hope this helps you.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

You could install IIS role on windows server R2 host to achieve the goal, for more information please refer to the link below:

Configuring SMTP E-mail in IIS 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753146(WS.10).aspx

Meanwhile, as this is an IIS related post, you would like to post it to IIS forum:

http://forums.iis.net/

Thanks.

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 1:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can add the web server (IIS) role  with IIS 6 Management Compatibility option selected and also add both SMTP Server and SMTP Server Tools .

The SMTP service is actually managed through IIS 6.0, not IIS 7.0

Start > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 Manager.

Expand the server tree you will see SMTP virtual server, which IIS uses to send mail.

Right-click on it and select Properties.

Click the Delivery tab, and then the Outbound Security button. We want Basic Authentication.

Hope this helps you.

Sunday, December 26, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

You could install IIS role on windows server R2 host to achieve the goal, for more information please refer to the link below:

Configuring SMTP E-mail in IIS 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753146(WS.10).aspx

Meanwhile, as this is an IIS related post, you would like to post it to IIS forum:

http://forums.iis.net/

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 1:33 AM
  • Hi,

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Tiger Li

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:57 AM
  • Hi Tiger / All,

I've configured SMTP on 2012 R2 STD standalone server with self signed certificate (generated using IIS manager [not IIS manager 6.0] - Server cert - Create self signed Cert. Is this the right way to generate certificate for local communication? but after this cert generation, i can see certificate validity on SMTP server - Access tab

Also kindly clarify below queries:

1. How can i use different versions of TLS (example TLS 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2) and where are those option to define versions

2. How can i import commercial CA cert on to SMTP server. Would like to know the steps to import the same

3. Ony anonymous Auth is working for me. When i use Basic / windows authentication, it is unsuccessfully.

4. Finally, do we have any tool to test the configuration (for with / without Auth.)

Many thanks,

Arun

• Proposed as answer by Arun K Sundar Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:20 AM
    Tuesday, December 19, 2017 5:20 AM