none
A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the gpsvc service.

Question

• The error in the title is now showing up in the Event Logs of dozens of different Windows 7 workstations.  It is now taking some machines over 1 hour to log in. A user will enter their name and password and then press Enter. They see the "Welcome" screen on Windows 7 and it hangs at the Welcome screen. One machine took over 2 hours to log in. Why? What can cause this?

In our GPO Management we have only a few GPO policies being applied.   And they have not changed in a long while.  We do NOT install any software via GPO.   We use it mainly for IE settings, Trusted  Site lists, to call a login script, custom wallpaper....stuff like that.

This started to happen a few weeks ago and now it is happening more and more and uses are very upset.   I've Googled this a bit and I've seen some posts that speak of Printer Drivers.  That does not appear to be our issue.  It is something else. 

Also it is hit or miss.  User "A" can take 45 min to log in today and then tomorrow it takes 1 minute. 

mqh7

I wanted to add that here is how the service is setup on the machines where it won't start. 

• Edited by mqh7 Tuesday, May 03, 2016 3:51 PM
    Tuesday, May 03, 2016 3:32 PM

Answers

• The error in the title is now showing up in the Event Logs of dozens of different Windows 7 workstations.  It is now taking some machines over 1 hour to log in. A user will enter their name and password and then press Enter. They see the "Welcome" screen on Windows 7 and it hangs at the Welcome screen. One machine took over 2 hours to log in. Why? What can cause this?

In our GPO Management we have only a few GPO policies being applied.   And they have not changed in a long while.  We do NOT install any software via GPO.   We use it mainly for IE settings, Trusted  Site lists, to call a login script, custom wallpaper....stuff like that.

This started to happen a few weeks ago and now it is happening more and more and uses are very upset.   I've Googled this a bit and I've seen some posts that speak of Printer Drivers.  That does not appear to be our issue.  It is something else. 

Also it is hit or miss.  User "A" can take 45 min to log in today and then tomorrow it takes 1 minute. 

mqh7

I wanted to add that here is how the service is setup on the machines where it won't start. 

Hello,

Looks like problem with your Active Directory. Try:

1. Check AD health by running "dcdiag /c /v" and "repadmin /replsummary".

2. Review your sites configuration in AD Sites and Services console. Configure sites correctly, if you have remote offices.

3. Review domain controllers' event logs for errors and warnings. They should suggest the root cause of that issue.

My LinkedIn profile

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

I meant to check your AD subnets are assigned to the right site in ADSS.

And yes, we are using WMI Filters on our GPO's.  we have this filter on all of our user/workstation GPO's. ?

Have a look here : https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c8352f42-73a7-420b-9aad-dda4888d1b4b/windows-7-sp1-event-7011-timeout-gpsvc-service-welcome-screen-randomly-hangs-for-30-to-90?forum=winserverGP

Devaraj G | Technical solution architect

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Mqh7,

This issue occurs because of a thread synchronization issue in the Group Policy Client service. Specifically, this issue is triggered when multiple threads try to access a static object at the same time.

I suggest you try to install the two hotfixes below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2622802

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2653810

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Hello, thanks for the reply.  We are not using terminal servers to host any GPO's.  We have 5 DC's in our entire environment and all are running on VMs.  Also, we are not using any Item Level Targeting in our GPO's.   What else could this be?  It happens periodically throughout our company.   You and I can both log into the same workstation and it takes you 30 min to log in and it takes me 45 Seconds.   Then, tomorrow the opposite happens. 

mqh7

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Hi,

Are your subnets are proper to AD sites?

Do you happen to use any WMI Filtering on your Group Policies?

Look : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2617858

Regards, Dev

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Devaraj, I don't understand your subnet question.   Can you please expand?  And yes, we are using WMI Filters on our GPO's.  we have this filter on all of our user/workstation GPO's.

mqh7

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:54 PM

mqh7

Hello,

Looks like problem with your Active Directory. Try:

1. Check AD health by running "dcdiag /c /v" and "repadmin /replsummary".

2. Review your sites configuration in AD Sites and Services console. Configure sites correctly, if you have remote offices.

3. Review domain controllers' event logs for errors and warnings. They should suggest the root cause of that issue.

My LinkedIn profile

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

I meant to check your AD subnets are assigned to the right site in ADSS.

And yes, we are using WMI Filters on our GPO's.  we have this filter on all of our user/workstation GPO's. ?

Have a look here : https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c8352f42-73a7-420b-9aad-dda4888d1b4b/windows-7-sp1-event-7011-timeout-gpsvc-service-welcome-screen-randomly-hangs-for-30-to-90?forum=winserverGP

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 4:26 PM