none
Team Planner 2010 - Start/End Dates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Team Planner to fill the gaps in allocation. But what I observed is in Team Planner if "Task1" has multiple resources. Lets assume start/end date as 1st Sep and 30 Sep respectively,

And let's say I've one resrouce (r1) working full time... but the other (r2) from 15th Sep till 30th Sep, in team planner, the blue bar is show for (r2) as 1st Sep till 30th Sep.

Now this data is mis-leading because the first two weeks r2 is not working on that task.

Is there a setting to show me "Actual allocated work" & not the whole Task scedule ?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Dale,

Thanks for your explanation.

I followed your steps and I found it's working. Compared what was wrong with mine, it seems there never was a problem. The Timescale was monthly and hence the small difference in days for two resources i.e. one completing 3-4 days earlier... was not visible in graphical representation of Team Planner.
    And when I keep over any bar in Team Planner the start and end date displayed is of the task and not the resource specific, that added to the confusion.

I changed the Timescale to 1 day scale and I could see in Team Planner that for Task1 R1 is shown to finish earlier than R2. Initial description of issue I used 15 days difference as example, but actually the difference in days was 3.

Regards, MS-Forum

• Marked as answer by Kishan729 Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:41 AM

All replies

• Chris --

I cannot duplicate what you are describing.  To try and recreate your problem, I did the following:

1.  Created a new project with a Start date of October 1.
    2.  Created a new Auto Scheduled task named Design and left the default Duration of 1 day.
    3.  Clicked the View tab and selected the Details checkbox in the Split View section of the ribbon to display the Task Entry view.
    4.  In the Task Form pane, I assigned resources as follows:

Henry Baum            100%            160h
        Mickey Cobb           100%              80h

5.  In the Task Form, I clicked the OK button.  Microsoft Project 2010 corrected calculated a Duration of 20d.
    6.  I right-clicked in the Task Form pane and selected the Schedule item on the shortcut menu to display the Schedule details in the Task Form.
    7.  In the Task Form pane, I changed the Scheduled Start date for Mickey Cobb to October 15, 2012.  NOTE:  I did not change the Start date; I changed the item for Mickey Cobb in the Scheduled Start column.
    8.  Clicked the OK button.  Microsoft Project 2010 continues to short the original Duration of 20d, as expected.
    9.  Closed the Task Form pane by double clicking on the split bar between the top and bottom panes.
    10.  Applied the Team Planner view.

In the Team Planner view, I see that Henry Baum works on the Design from October 1-26, as expected.  And I can see that Mickey Cobb works on the task ONLY from October 15-26, also as expected.  Would you please complete the steps above to confirm that you are correctly assigning your resources to the task in question?  Let us know what you find.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for your explanation.

I followed your steps and I found it's working. Compared what was wrong with mine, it seems there never was a problem. The Timescale was monthly and hence the small difference in days for two resources i.e. one completing 3-4 days earlier... was not visible in graphical representation of Team Planner.
    And when I keep over any bar in Team Planner the start and end date displayed is of the task and not the resource specific, that added to the confusion.

I changed the Timescale to 1 day scale and I could see in Team Planner that for Task1 R1 is shown to finish earlier than R2. Initial description of issue I used 15 days difference as example, but actually the difference in days was 3.

Regards, MS-Forum

• Marked as answer by Kishan729 Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:41 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:41 AM
  • Chris --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  And thanks for conducting the deeper analysis of your own issue.  Well done!

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:36 AM