WSUS Console Connection Error. Reset server node. Event ID 7053 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having difficulty establishing a connection in the WSUS  console.  When I start WSUS, I can see my WSUS server listed, but when I select it, the connection seems to time out and I'm face with the error message: Error: Connection Error. I'm giving the option to 'reset server node'.

Event ID 7053 is shown (see below).  The services are running and I've tried deleting the MMC file as suggested.  

Anyone got any advice on this, or is there any other Logs I can look at/post in relation to this?  The server is running On 2008 R2.

Many thanks

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(Int32 updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState, Int32 propertiesToGet)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, UpdateScope updatesToInclude, ComputerTargetScope computersToInclude, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetReplicaStatus(UpdateSources updateSources)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Common.CachedUpdateServerStatus.GetFreshObjectForCache()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.GetFromCache()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.ServerSummaryPage.backgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 11:10 AM

All replies

• Make sure the WsusPool Application pool is started in IIS.

While you're at it, make some changes to help alleviate this problem in the future.

* Make the following "Advanced Settings" for WSUS Application Pool in IIS:
        - Queue Length: 25000 from 1000
        - Limit Interval (minutes): 15 from 5
        - "Service Unavailable" Response: TcpLevel from HttpLevel
    * Edit the web.config ( C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices\ClientWebService\web.config ) for WSUS (Stop the IIS first):
        - Replace <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="4096" /> with <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="204800" executionTimeout="7200"/>
    * Adjust the private memory limit.
        - If you have WSUS Automated Maintenance (WAM), from the WAM Shell run:
            .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -SetApplicationPoolMemory 4096
        - If you don't have WAM, edit the pool's configuration directly to change it to 4194304 (4GB)

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:52 PM
  • Adam,

Thanks for your reply.  Tried all your suggestions and still experiencing the same behaviour.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 4:57 PM
  • If you restart the server, does it work at any point in time after the restart?

Are you performing the proper WSUS maintenance including but not limited to running the Server Cleanup Wizard (SCW), declining superseded updates, running the SQL Indexing script, etc.?

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

Thursday, August 9, 2018 1:47 AM
  • Hi spearfisher2,

Thanks for your information.

You can improve the WsusPool Application pool:

Except it, you may delete the file in content folder to save the space.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to you feedback.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 10:08 AM
  • Guys,

Thanks for your advice so far. I tried all these and it was still the same.  I then went on to follow some other advice which was to uninstall WSUS and Windows Internal Database (Remove role) and then to re-install from scratch.

Now, I can't get WSUS to install either through server manager (add role) or through the stand alone installer.  It gets to the point of installing the WID and throws up this error: 

Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 could not install Windows Internal Database.

The error log from the install is also below.

Maybe I didn't remove the database properly?  Any ideas on how I can resolve this new issue would be appreciated. Thanks

2018-08-10 07:28:58  Success   MWUSSetup          Validating pre-requisites...

2018-08-10 07:28:58  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to determine if an higher version of WSUS is installed. Assuming it is not... (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)

2018-08-10 07:28:58  Error     MWUSSetup          WSUS is outdated. But this will not block setup (Error 0x00000000: The operation completed successfully.)

2018-08-10 07:29:06  Success   MWUSSetup          Initializing installation details

2018-08-10 07:29:06  Success   MWUSSetup          Skipping Asp.Net install since not running on win2k3...

2018-08-10 07:29:06  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing wYukon using ocsetup

2018-08-10 07:29:06  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing Windows Internal database using ocsetup with command line as "ocsetup "WSSEE" /quiet /norestart"

2018-08-10 07:29:14  Error     MWUSSetup          The process ocsetup "WSSEE" /quiet /norestart returned error: 0x643 (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2018-08-10 07:29:14  Error     MWUSSetup          ExecCmd failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2018-08-10 07:29:14  Error     MWUSSetup          Install Windows Internal database: Failed to execute "ocsetup "WSSEE" /quiet /norestart" (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2018-08-10 07:29:14  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver::PerformSetup: Installation of wYukon failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2018-08-10 07:29:14  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2018-08-10 07:29:54  Error     MWUSSetup          DoInstall: Wsus setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

Friday, August 10, 2018 5:30 AM
  • Hi,

After you remove the the role, have you delete the WID completely which is in C:\windows\WID.

Moreover, You can use the powershell tor e-install WSUS with a clean database: 
    1.Run Windows Powershell as Administrator. 
    2.Command: Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name UpdateServices,Windows-Internal-Database -Restart
    3.Delete everything in the C:\Windows\WID\.
    4.Re-install WSUS: Install-WindowsFeature UpdateServices -Restart

If it is possible, I recommend to rebuild the computer. It delete everything completely. 

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, August 10, 2018 5:55 AM
  • Johnson,

There is no WID within the C:\Windows directory!

I'm getting the below error when trying to re-install via powershell: The term  Install-WindowsFeature is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet....

Rebuilding the machine isn't an option!

Friday, August 10, 2018 6:05 AM
  • Hi,

What about SSEE folder? They have same function in different version for WID and SSEE.

There are articles related to unintsall WSUS:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd939818(v=ws.10)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sus/2008/11/05/how-to-manually-remove-all-of-wsus/

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Friday, August 10, 2018 6:28 AM
  • Found the SSEE folder and deleted the contents - same results.

Aslo ran through both articles and no luck.  The second one talks about using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility but this is no longer available.

Friday, August 10, 2018 8:12 AM
  • During the ‘Database Options’ section of the installation,  I selected the second option ‘Use and existing database server on this computer’.  There was only one option from the dropdown ‘EPOSERVER’. Clicked next and it said ‘Successfully connected to the server instance ‘EPOSERVER’

The installation runs but crashes out again at ‘Configuring database’ with the message: There is a problem with the windows installer package.  A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.’ The installer then rolls back the action. The log for this is below.

2018-08-10 10:31:14  Success   MWUSSetup          Detected that setup was launched through Server Manager
    2018-08-10 10:31:15  Success   MWUSSetup          Validating pre-requisites...
    2018-08-10 10:31:15  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to determine if an higher version of WSUS is installed. Assuming it is not... (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2018-08-10 10:31:15  Error     MWUSSetup          WSUS is outdated. But this will not block setup (Error 0x00000000: The operation completed successfully.)
    2018-08-10 10:33:12  Success   MWUSSetup          Initializing installation details
    2018-08-10 10:33:12  Success   MWUSSetup          Skipping Asp.Net install since not running on win2k3...
    2018-08-10 10:33:12  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing WSUS...
    2018-08-10 10:33:16  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Unable to get INSTALL_LANGUAGE property, calculating it...
    2018-08-10 10:33:16  Success   CustomActions.Dll  The system language ENG is not supported. Using English resources...
    2018-08-10 10:33:16  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully set propery of WSUS admin groups' full names
    2018-08-10 10:33:17  Success   CustomActions.Dll  .Net framework path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating user group: WSUS Reporters with Description: WSUS Administrators who can only run reports on the Windows Server Update Services server.
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating WSUS Reporters user group
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  WSUS Reporters user group already exists
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS Reporters user group
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating user group: WSUS Administrators with Description: WSUS Administrators can administer the Windows Server Update Services server.
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating WSUS Administrators user group
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  WSUS Administrators user group already exists
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS Administrators user group
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS user groups
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Succesfully set binary SID property
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Succesfully set binary SID property
    2018-08-10 10:33:20  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully set binary SID properties
    2018-08-10 10:33:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  CopyADMFile:The system locale ENG is not supported. Using English...
    2018-08-10 10:35:43  Error     MWUSSetup          InstallWsus: MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2018-08-10 10:35:43  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver::PerformSetup: WSUS installation failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2018-08-10 10:35:43  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

Friday, August 10, 2018 8:34 AM
  • https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-remove-wsus-completely-and-reinstall-it/

Follow this.

Friday, August 10, 2018 10:43 AM
  • Adam, Followed your guide over the weekend - still get the same results.
    Monday, August 13, 2018 5:29 AM
  • Curious - is the reset node error when you look at computers? Or in general like looking at only a view with updates?

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 12:56 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response.  From what I remember, I got the 'reset server node' error when I selected any of the options within that particular server (e.g. computers, updates etc).

I still can't get WSUS to install (database) no matter what I seem to do.  I really don't want to flatten the machine but it looks like the only option!

Friday, August 17, 2018 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

Before rebuilding the machine, we can try to remove the role of WSUS and IIS. And delete the WSUS content folder. Then we should re-configure them.

Best regards,
    Johnson

=====================
    Friday, August 17, 2018 9:40 AM
  • I've already removed the WSUS role and deleted the content folder.  I didn't try removing the IIS role as this is still being used. Is removing the IIS role worth a try at this stage?
    Friday, August 17, 2018 9:46 AM
  • Here's my guide on a full removal of WSUS and re installation of it.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-remove-wsus-completely-and-reinstall-it/

Monday, August 20, 2018 1:06 AM
  • If I may ask a hypothetical question... if all troubleshooting effort don't work, is it easier just to install a fresh new server from scratch with same IP address and all configuration?

What will happen to the client computers, assuming all configuration are the same.

Can we do this without backup & restore the database, and hoping that the client computers will just register and update the WSUS accordingly?

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Yes, client systems should re-populate on the new system. Worst case, you run the client side script (https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/client-machines-not-reporting-to-wsus-properly/) on them and they populate. I estimate a 2-4 hour journey + wait time for sync's with MS to reinstall WSUS. The issue will likely re-occur in the future.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:32 AM