XP client off network + mapped DFS share = slow performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Users at experience issues with their mapped drives when they are not on the work network.  A group policy maps 2-3 drives that point to DFS shares (ie. \\domain.com\share\).  While on the work network or connected via VPN, Windows Explorer and file dialogs respond normally.  When a user takes their laptop home, and opens Windows Explorer, it will hang or freeze for a while.  Windows 7 clients do not exhibit this behaviour.  The theory being put forward is the laptop is trying to resolve the domain name part of the share UNC and is going out to the internet (because of the user's home router) and hitting our edge firewall and going nowhere.

Is there something I can do about stopping this hanging behaviour?  It has been suggested the drive mappings be changed to point to specific file servers, but we obviously lose some benefits of DFS doing that.  Thanks.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Why not add a local user account for the Laptop users.

To use when they are away from the office and do not need to connect to your Domain.

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:28 PM
  • We've had a few users already do that for other reasons and it creates a lot of headaches.  Almost all of our users are on laptops and work from home, so creating all those accounts wouldn't really be feasible.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Hi Astatine,

This might be the answer are there folders in the Dfs Share, which are marked as unavailable offline for security reasons.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837120/en-us

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:49 PM