add information to a column based on a choice in another Column RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am creating a sharepoint list (to later create a powerapp).

Choice column = Part Number

Single Line of Text = Description

Single Line of Text = Drug

I want to be able to auto fill the single line of Text's based on the choice option.

Part         Number Description            Drug
    VAP01  ISO Cage Screw      ISO

I tried the validation route but that only allows 7 nested If Statements and I have 23 parts

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Friday, February 21, 2020 11:43 AM

All replies

• Hi, Andy, 

According to your description, I assume e you have 23 different set of combination with part number, description, drug. As the part number is a choice number, one option is like this:

1. Create a new SharePoint list holding all choice of part number along with corresponding description and drug. Let's say the new list is called the Source List. So the source list have 3 columns. Single text column for part number , and two single text for description and drug. Just like the test list below:

2. Go back to the list you want to have a PowerApp, create a new lookup column called "Part Number". It will replace your original choice column. And make the settings like the sample below. 

The list will be like this:

More information about SharePoint lookup column.

Mostly we cannot make the filed "auto fill" and still editable in SharePoint list OOB. The option i give will not make the two columns(description and drug) editable and be displayed in New Form and edit form when user choose part number. So if you need something like that, it will be needed to implement it directly in PowerApps. As I am not an expert on PowerApps, I can only provide some similar examples for you to check. They are threads in the PowerApps forum and you can make a new post there for some help.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/AutoFill-lookup-fields-from-lookup-dropdown-list/m-p/24203

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Auto-populate-text-box-value-based-on-another-text-box-value-on/td-p/172886

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:58 AM
    Monday, February 24, 2020 6:56 AM
  • Hi, Andy,

After a few weeks, have you tried the solution? Does that help?

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 8:53 AM