Cannot see any computer in Collection.. But can see all machines DDR created in discovery log file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I am new to SCCM. I just installed SCCM 2007 R2 in my office network and did discovery using Active Directory System Discovery. I can see more than 800 objects discovered in log files and DDR being created but when I see collection. I cannot see a thing... 

Am I missing something... Any help would be great.

Regards

Sam

Sunday, July 3, 2011 5:41 AM

Answers

• A key learning point here is that collections are based on membership rules: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632615.aspx. The most useful type of rules are query based. It would be extremely inefficient if these queries were run on demand. Instead, ConfigMgr runs these queries on a scheduled basis and caches their results. Each collection can be configured to run its query based membership rules on a different schedle or you can manually initiate the evaluation of a collections rules by right-clicking and choosing update collection.

Also, here's a post a did that contains queries for the newer OSes: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys/archive/2010/12/26/configmgr-collections-and-queries-for-current-oses.aspx. It's a simple MOF file that you can directly import.

Lastly, for proper Win 7 SP1 support, make sute that you install the hotfix from: 2489044.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | Twitter @JasonSandys
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:48 AM
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:47 PM
  • and here's a query for All Windows Server 2008 systems, you can use it to create a collection with Server 2008 computers..

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM
    .SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from sms_r_system where OperatingSystemNameandVersion like  '%Server 6.%'

My step by step SCCM Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:18 PM

All replies

• how long have you waited so far?
    have you refreshed your console?
    CM is not real-time...
    Don
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Almost an hour.. But I just did something and it picked all computer. I dont know why. If you can explain.. I added a computer name manually in Windows Xp Collection on Membership Rules tab and after clicking on Update Collection Membership it picked all Windows XP machines... ????? Dont know how and why it happened..

Any idea??

Regards

Sam

Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:03 AM
  • yep.
    it's because you clicked "update collection membership".

collection evaluation runs on a schedule - maybe yours is set to daily?
    when you clicked, you forced it to run ahead of schedule.  :)

Don
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Hi

Yep I saw the schedule and it was set to run at 4 in the morning... :) 

Thanks for your help.

Sam

Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Hi - As mentioned by Don. Please close the console or refresh the console (as the collection update is not real time) and check the All systems collection to see whether you can see the systems.
    Anoop C Nair - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Hi

Can I ask another question. I suppose SCCM 2007 R2 does not support Windows 2007 and Windows 2008 Servers... Or does it?? As I dont see any collection object for that.. Or I can make one... ??

Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi

Can I ask another question. I suppose SCCM 2007 R2 does not support Windows 2007 and Windows 2008 Servers... Or does it?? As I dont see any collection object for that.. Or I can make one... ??

SCCM supports windows 2008!!!
    Anoop C Nair - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Yep, it sure does support those platforms, you just need to create a collection with the correct WQL statement.

take a look at the WQL for an older platform and copy/modify into a new collection like "All Windows7 systems"

Don
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:21 AM
  • Hi

Thanks.. I got Windows 7 but Windows Server 2008 are not coming when I put in Like : Windows Server 2008 " But I will figure out..

Thanks for your support :)

Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:25 AM
  • A key learning point here is that collections are based on membership rules: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632615.aspx. The most useful type of rules are query based. It would be extremely inefficient if these queries were run on demand. Instead, ConfigMgr runs these queries on a scheduled basis and caches their results. Each collection can be configured to run its query based membership rules on a different schedle or you can manually initiate the evaluation of a collections rules by right-clicking and choosing update collection.

Also, here's a post a did that contains queries for the newer OSes: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys/archive/2010/12/26/configmgr-collections-and-queries-for-current-oses.aspx. It's a simple MOF file that you can directly import.

Lastly, for proper Win 7 SP1 support, make sute that you install the hotfix from: 2489044.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:47 PM
  • and here's a query for All Windows Server 2008 systems, you can use it to create a collection with Server 2008 computers..

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM
    .SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from sms_r_system where OperatingSystemNameandVersion like  '%Server 6.%'

My step by step SCCM Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Thanks alll :)
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:52 AM