User view is different RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who has full access rights to a site. When she goes to the site it's missing all of the webparts, but if she goes into edit mode they reappear. Also, if she exits edit mode they are still there. If she exits IE then goes back in they are gone again.

I've deleted her IE cache, but that didn't help. I have the same rights, but everything works fine from my workstation.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are the web parts on a top level site or sub site? If they are on a sub site, does the user have permission to both the top-level site and the sub site?

Web parts are treated as any other file in SharePoint and can inherit permissions or have unique item level permissions. Web parts are only visible to users who  have at least read only access to the .webpart or .dwp files in the web parts gallery for the web parts.  Check for change of permissions, including recent removal of  OOTB groups or all authenticated users group (NTAUTHORITY). Also  sometimes SharePoint does not copy (or inherits) top level permissions to the web parts gallery and the _catalog folders so rechecking and manually adding accounts might be required. This is also how you can control the availability of web parts per user or group basis.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:15 AM

All replies

• Is she using the same browser you are? Is the browser using the same compatibility settings (IE Compatibility Setting, Rendering Mode, etc)?

Is there any master page customization that might prevent web parts from being shown in normal view mode?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:53 PM
  • Check if Audience Targeting is applied to the web parts. When webparts are targeted to specific audiences they will not show even user has security to see it.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:04 AM
  • Hi,

Make sure the page on which all these web parts are added is checked-in. May be the page is still not checkec out due to which the web parts are not getting displayed for the user but for you as I believe you would had added those web parts on the page. Also publish the page so everyone can see the web parts.

Thanks, Sumit Gupta SharePoint Consultant MCP, MCTS, CCNA

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:32 AM
  • you will check properities of a web part may be she dont have the permission to view the webpart.

first you will add user to target audience and then check

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:05 AM
  • There is no Target Audience specified. Here's where it gets stranger. I went back to my Windows 7 IE9 machine (she has exact same setup), I closed the webparts she wasn't able to see then readded them by dragging them from "Closed Webparts" under "Add Webparts".

Now she's only missing the calendar webpart.

I should also mention that this site was upgraded from SP 2007 a few months ago. This is the only site that retains the look and feel of SP2007.
    • Edited by Carltonw1 Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

Are the web parts on a top level site or sub site? If they are on a sub site, does the user have permission to both the top-level site and the sub site?

Web parts are treated as any other file in SharePoint and can inherit permissions or have unique item level permissions. Web parts are only visible to users who  have at least read only access to the .webpart or .dwp files in the web parts gallery for the web parts.  Check for change of permissions, including recent removal of  OOTB groups or all authenticated users group (NTAUTHORITY). Also  sometimes SharePoint does not copy (or inherits) top level permissions to the web parts gallery and the _catalog folders so rechecking and manually adding accounts might be required. This is also how you can control the availability of web parts per user or group basis.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:15 AM
  • This all worked at one time. She just started having this issue about a month ago.

How do I check the permissions per web part?

Friday, April 27, 2012 1:09 PM