none
System Restore fails each time......

Question

• Hello, 

I am trying to make a simple restore point and I keep getting this error..........Should I be looking at some setting somewhere, I do  not know if I have system restore set up correct. Could someone please explain to me the process of the restore point for the OS. Please.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:17 AM

All replies

• Microsoft apparently is aware of this.

You can wait for MS to sort it out, or you can use the method posted by Harold Fra in Microsoft Community forum on March 18th.

I have not tried it, so I cannot say if it will work for you or not.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-restore-error-0x80070091/cedb6d6a-a3cf-4917-a6c0-a1544631adb6

Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:16 AM
  • Hello,

Check the fix here:

https://www.kapilarya.com/system-restore-failed-while-restoring-the-directory-from-the-restore-point-windows-10

Keep us posted, Good luck :)

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, March 20, 2017 5:54 AM
  • Hi ,

We have seen some users meet with the same issue on system restore function, for current situation, there is an effective workaround, delete or rename folder WindowsApps then restart system, after this, restore function can be cover. The below is a similar case for your reference. Click the folowing link for detailed information.
    System Restore failed - Source: AppxStaging Error - (0x80070091)
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/93a0d2a2-d9f1-4b57-97b9-0ca30de656aa/system-restore-failed-source-appxstaging-error-0x80070091?forum=win10itproapps

We have reported the issue on our side. You could use the built-in "Feedback" tool to submit the issue on your side. I hope it could be fixed in the near future.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 6:59 AM
  • Hi ,

We haven’t heard from you in a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:37 AM
  • I have tried to restore my PC from two different restore points, but I have received the following msg similar to the below:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files andsettings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point. Source: AppxStaging Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps An unspecified error occurred during System Restore.

I searched on your TechNet and found this Workaround from user Georgi L 

1- Boot into safe mode.

2-Right click on the start button, left click on Command Prompt (Admin)

Window will appear with a Command Prompt ending with >

3-Keyboard:  takeown /f "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /r /d Y 

Press Enter. Wait for it to finish and go back to Command Prompt>

4-Keyboard:  icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%":(F) /t

Press Enter. You will get a message:  Successfully processed xxxxx files: Failed to process 0 files

5- Keyboard: rd /s "C:\Program Files\Windows Apps"

Press Enter. It will ask you to confirm.  Yes.  This will delete the folder.  

6- Now Reboot your computer and System Restore should work.

Thnaks.

• Edited by Georgi L Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:08 AM

I had the same issue and tried that WA as I was getting the same error when trying system restore with WindowsApps mentioned in the error. I went through the steps which was fine up until step 5:

Keyboard: rd /s "C:\Program Files\Windows Apps"

Press Enter. It will ask you to confirm.  Yes.  This will delete the folder.  

Was the above meant to read C:\Program Files\Windows Apps or C:\Program Files\WindowsApps ??  I ask because after the Y/N it said that that dir Windows Apps did not exist..  I did still see a WindowsApps dir..

Please explain?

Thank you!!

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:13 PM