none
Decrypt Files on External HD RRS feed

• Question

• I had bitlocker locker on my C drive. I had some files on desktop and I moved to my external drive. I reimaged my computer and now when I go to external drive I cannot access the files in folder I copied. It says I don't have permission and encrypted contents is enabled. I have the bitlocker key, but bitlocker is not enabled on my external drive.  Any way to unlock folder? I don't have certificate neither when C drive was encrypted. I do have Key as mentioned. 

Friday, December 14, 2018 6:16 AM

All replies

• BitLocker is a full disk encryption feature, which means that your drive or volume is encrypted as a whole, not individual files. The encryption only applies to the disk that is BitLocker encrypted. Just as the files are automatically decrypted when you open them, they are decrypted before moving them to the non-BitLocker drive.

So current situation is not caused by BitLocker Encryption, you need to note other encrypt method and ownership.

Try to take ownership of these files and copy them to local to test result

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 14, 2018 7:43 AM
  • I tried to take ownership and didn't work.  THE EFS is enabled on just 1 folder on external hard device which is folder I copied from orginal C drive that was encrypted.
    Friday, December 14, 2018 5:44 PM
  • Then both was active: EFS and bitlocker. You need the EFS recovery certificate from your old machine. If you don't have it, you will need to resort to the backup of these important files.
    Monday, December 17, 2018 7:25 PM