Outlook 2016: Task bar and Account Information missing, etc. RRS feed

• Question

Just installed Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus on Windows 7 Professional. 

When opening Outlook 2016, I see:

Welcome to Outlook

Enter an email address to add your account.

According to online instructions, I should see a task bar and then an Account Information page. I don't see them at all.  In addition, when I do enter an aol email, the password is not accepted even though it works fine in www.webmail.aol.com.

I was hoping Outlook 2016 would be easy to deal with like 2010.  I even tried reinstalling 2016.  How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks,

Robin

Friday, March 6, 2020 2:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Robin,

When you first use you Outlook 2016 client, you should see the window below:

Then you can type your email address and click Connect, if you can't configure your account automatically, then please click "Advanced options" > "Let me set up my account manually" and click Connect.

Then you can choose the type you'd like to configure your email account as.(IMAP, POP)

>> when I do enter an aol email, the password is not accepted even though it works fine in www.webmail.aol.com.

On November 7, 2017, AOL is making changes to their email account settings to help provide a more secure email experience for customers. Use the following steps to verify your account settings to ensure you can still send and receive email using your AOL account after November 7, 2016. Please refer to this article.

Besides, if you still can't configure your AOL account with your current password, you may need to type your App Aassword. For your reference: Add two-step verification for extra security.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 6, 2020 7:26 AM
  • Aidan,

What happened to the sections for the File Tab and Account Information?  Shouldn't they appear first and second before Welcome to Outlook appears.  I would like Outlook 2016 to be like Outlook 2010.

I would be happy to email you the parts that are missing.

Thanks for responding,

Robin

Friday, March 6, 2020 4:43 PM
  • Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

There are some differences between Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2010. This is an improvement between different versions and I'm afraid that it is impossible to set Outlook 2016 to be like Outlook 2010.

>>I would be happy to email you the parts that are missing.

Thanks. Could you please provide me with more details or some screenshots? You may not be able to post pictures here. If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 7:50 AM
  • Hi Robin.

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Friday, March 13, 2020 7:56 AM