W2k8 with NPS accounting log to file not working RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running W2008 R2 with NPS.

I've looked in the default location but cannot find any log files.

If I configure Accounting to "Log to a text file on local computer" (by default it is set to Log to a SQL Server Database), log files are not created. It doesn't seem to have any effect if I change any of the settings or if I restart NPS service.

If fact, account logging doesn't seem to be working at all.

Can anyone help?

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Please try following steps to resolve your issue:
    1. Enabled event log event via NPS console--right click NPS--Properties--in Gereral tab, Select Rejected authentication requests and Successful authentication requests
    2. In Accounting settings--Change Log file properties--ensure settings tab options all selected and change the log directory to other(like D:\log\) from C:\Windows\system32\Logfiles\
    3. If new NPS log comes in event viewer, the NPS accounting log file will be created.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Rick Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Rick Tan Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rick Tan Monday, January 9, 2012 2:05 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Please try following steps to resolve your issue:
    1. Enabled event log event via NPS console--right click NPS--Properties--in Gereral tab, Select Rejected authentication requests and Successful authentication requests
    2. In Accounting settings--Change Log file properties--ensure settings tab options all selected and change the log directory to other(like D:\log\) from C:\Windows\system32\Logfiles\
    3. If new NPS log comes in event viewer, the NPS accounting log file will be created.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Rick Tan

• Edited by Rick Tan Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rick Tan Monday, January 9, 2012 2:05 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,
    Rick Tan
    Forum Support

Rick Tan

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:52 AM
  • hi,

i had the same kind of problem after a migration NPS w2008 to NPS  W2008R2 and also IAS on W2003  to NPS on W2008 R2

i lost a lot of time to look a forum to find a workaround without succes!

finaly i found a post who talk about problems in import /export et 2008R2 , with EAP encryption.

when there is a bad configuration on this parameter, the .log is not created, and the radius dont work.

the workaround was to change a value from 0 to 0000000009 in the IAS.TXT import file, but it dont work for me because my ias.txt as a different format.

so i have use the graphical interface, to see the EAP parameters .

network strategy, condition, authenfication method, Microsof PEAP , when i have try to use the modify button , i got a error !

i have change the configuration to use Microsoft Card, the i save, and the re-modify to put Microsoft PEAP , I save one more time and  after, no error when i wanted to modify the EAP encryption.

i restarted NPS server , and  my Logfile has been created, and the server NPS is now OK, accepting connections

(sorry for my bad english) :-)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winserverNIS/thread/19c6c912-0713-40a2-8270-39a3b685d5f6

Friday, June 15, 2012 2:53 PM