none
DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 side by side upgrade.. RRS feed

• Question

• Once again I humbly come before the group to seek advice. 

I am doing a side by side upgrade from a DPM 2010 installation on a physical 2008R2 server to DPM 2012 on a Server 2012 Hyper-V guest (on a server 2012 Host in a CSV). In the interests of full disclosure, although I wouldn't think it would cause any hiccups, I have separate ISCSI SAN for the DPM storage pools and a separate ISCSI SAN for the CSV. The DPM 2012 install will go on the CSV SAN and presented the storage pools via a LUN. Network connectivity is already taken care of (DPM 2010 is currently backing up guests on the CSV SAN).

A few questions regarding this:

1. After I import the DPMDB into the DPM2012 installation will this also include the storage pool allocations? They are currently set to let the server decide allocation so obviously DPM2010 needed a few partitions (read: holy number of partitions..). 
    2. If that does not contain the partition allocation information how do I assign the storage pools to the new DPM 2012 server without having it overwrite all the backups with it's own idea of proper storage allocation? Be advised, we have no additional space. Well, at least no where near what we need to duplicate the storage environment. 
    3. After I upgrade the agents and resync the backups once everything exists on the new DPM2012 installation are there any cleanup tasks necessary to successfully extract DPM2010 from the environment other than taking down the physical server? (other than domain cleanup)
    4. Has anyone else done something similar? If so, would you be willing to impart some wisdom as to any of the hiccups that I need to be aware of? 

When I took over the current DPM2010 environment already existed, and before that I had no experience updgrading/installing DPM so any and all advice and pointers would be appreciated!!

Thanks
    Dustin

P.S> My apologies to the forum admin if I posted in the wrong location! Please let me know and I will be happy to move threads. 

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:34 AM

All replies

• Adding to this - MS says (new window) that you cannot use an existing volume when adding a storage pool to the server. Is this even the case when I am adding a storage pool that was used by DPM 2010? 

Is there a way to allow DPM2012 to maintain/take over the data that DPM 2010 has created? I don't have the space really to create an entire new storage pool. 

Thanks
    Dustin

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

perhaps this does help you:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/db686c2b-d065-4b4d-92db-2d5db1616361

In short Terms: You have to upgrade to DPM 2012 on your "old" System before changing the Hardware and swicthing to DPM2012.
    So ,if you want to Import / restore DPMDB the DPM Server has to exactly the same Version as the one you took the backup from...

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:50 PM