limit im between groups of users? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a request from mgmt to deploy communicator to our customer service reps pc(basically a big call center).  but they want to limit the people that these call center reps can talk to.  So only the call center users can talk to the call center managers and each other, no one else in the company.

Is this possible? and if so how??

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:42 PM

Answers

• Is Office Communicator/Lync deployed to staff other than the call centre agents and managers? If it is then in Lync you can use the GroupingID to limit the search capability so that only users with the same GroupingID will be found when someone does a search. However, this does not stop anyone from starting an IM conversation with any other user if they know their SIP URI. Use of GroupingID is discussed in this thread.

The only other solution is to employ a third party add-on to create what is known as an 'Ethical Firewall' between groups of users. See this product, there may be others available

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

MCITP: Lync, Exchange 2010 & Server Administrator

Blog
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:06 PM

All replies

• Is Office Communicator/Lync deployed to staff other than the call centre agents and managers? If it is then in Lync you can use the GroupingID to limit the search capability so that only users with the same GroupingID will be found when someone does a search. However, this does not stop anyone from starting an IM conversation with any other user if they know their SIP URI. Use of GroupingID is discussed in this thread.

The only other solution is to employ a third party add-on to create what is known as an 'Ethical Firewall' between groups of users. See this product, there may be others available

Mike

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks

Blog
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Yes lync will be deployed company wide, and what we dont want is these customer service users messaging other employees outside of their departments.

This seems like a pretty valid request i dont see how microsoft did not build that into their product.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:16 PM
  • In that case the Ethical Firewall is the solution.

The Lync product is designed to aid communications but let's not get into philosophical discussions. As it stands, this is not part of the product.

Mike

Blog
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Can i at least log all the IM's ? or log just for these users? 

That way it can somewhat deter them?

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:53 PM
  • To centrally log all IMs you need to deploy the Archive Server Role. All IMs will be sent by the Lync Front End server to the Archive Server which will store them in a SQL database. This blog post describes the installation process. The collocation policy for different Lync roles is described here

Mike

Blog
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Vantage from Actiance can provide both the ethical walls and the logging/archiving of IMs.  For more information, please see:  http://actiance.com/products/vantage.aspx

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Hi, Roy,

In Microsoft Lync Server 2010 communications software, you can deploy the Archiving Server feature to archive instant messaging (IM) and web conferencing communications sent through Lync Server 2010, in order to support compliance requirements. More info, please refer to this document Planning for Archiving.

Please remember to click “Mark As Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark As Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 6:52 AM
  • I have setup about 10-13 users on lync, yet when i search for some of these lync enabled users in the client window they do not show up.  Yet that particular user which i cant find, searches for me and I do show up.

i found this article which references making a registry change and deleting the db files on the client, and it still does not work.

http://blog.schertz.name/2010/10/lync2010rc-deployment-part3/

any ideas?

I did not enable the routingroup id as suggested above, i have not reached this point i just want to add some of the users which i enabled but when i serach for them it says no results found.

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Hi, Roy,

It sounds like address book sync issue. And you can update the address book manually as Jeff’s blog. Then check again.

Please remember to click “Mark As Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark As Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:03 AM
  • yes when i do it manually it does update it. but it seems like i ahve to update it manually everytime.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Michael,

I setup an archiving serving and all seems to be working well.  there is only 1 front end server with a pool on it and 1 archiving server.

Is there anyway to "disable" archiving for certain users? in other words if we dont want to log any conversation from or to James Bond, can this be accomplished using only 1 pool?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Roy

Yes. You need to create an Archiving Policy and apply it to the required users or groups. Documented on Technet here

Mike

Blog
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hello OldSchoola

I am with the Actance the vendor Mike referred to and we can provide ethical walls to all modalities within Lync exactly as you described. Please let me know if you would like to discuss it.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:06 PM