LOGIN RRS feed

• Question

• Any fix to the domain vs local computer login issues yet?  Can't believe what I see for  solutions.  Are the MS code monkeys using drugs?  Did they accutally believe its a good thing to have to type "theworldofmicrosoftthewaythewindowsevendesignersseeit.ms.com\username and password to log into a domain and the to login to local system have to type systemname

username and password.

Please don't reply with some stupid work around.  I would appreciate a MS employee responding as I want to hear the spin for this one.  OMG

Jimmy W. Simmons

Friday, February 10, 2012 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You could domain logon directly by only typing your user name without domain name.

You may add default domain value in the following place in Registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Please add the string values which are named DefaultDomain and DefaultUserName.

"DefaultDomain"="DOMAIN NAME"

"DefaultUserName"="USERNAME" (Optional)

Then you can log on with the domain user by enter the name “.\username”

We will shall dispatch your concern accordingly to the right division.

If you have further question about this issue, please feel free and let me know. 

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:29 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:45 AM

All replies

• Local Login - UserName: .\<user>

Domain Login - If in a domain, you should have your most-used domain set as the default. To switch to a less-used one, type in the first few letters of it in the domain drop-down and it will auto-select it.

Two other things:

• If you think something is being done wrong, don't just say it is stupid.  Suggest a better way of doing things...constructive criticism and all.
    • Why would someone ever name their domain 'theworldofmicrosoftthewaythewindowsevendesignersseeit.ms.com'.  Seems like the person who did that might have been the one to make a mistake, not MS.

Rich Prescott | Infrastructure Architect, Windows Engineer and PowerShell blogger | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Engineering Efficiency
    @Rich_Prescott
    Windows System Administration tool
    AD User Creation tool

Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Rich,

Thanks for your prompt reply, but as I said I was hoping for someone who actually works for Microsoft.  You are correct; constructive critisicism would be to make the logon "simple and intuitive" like it was in windows XP.  Software should be written for the least capable individual to use not MCITP, MCTS and MCP certified users.  I can't afford to hire them to type word documents.

No one (I hope) would name their domain as the example I stated, it was to make a point. However many companies do have long domain names.  The key issue here is the ability to  log on to a domain or the local system in a simple manner as we could do before and this "cannot" be done with windows 7 unless I am missing something.

I have to ask; is this how "you" would have designed the logon interface?

thanks,

Jimmy W. Simmons

Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:34 AM
  • Hi,

You could domain logon directly by only typing your user name without domain name.

You may add default domain value in the following place in Registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Please add the string values which are named DefaultDomain and DefaultUserName.

"DefaultDomain"="DOMAIN NAME"

"DefaultUserName"="USERNAME" (Optional)

Then you can log on with the domain user by enter the name “.\username”

We will shall dispatch your concern accordingly to the right division.

If you have further question about this issue, please feel free and let me know. 

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:29 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:45 AM
  • What is the issue here?

You just don't like that you have to type in extra stuff to log on locally as opposed to the domain?  Windows 7 will save the last login credentials, except for the password so if the user wants to log in to the domain and then restarts, its still set up to log in to that domain. 

I like it this way because users then aren't tempted to log in locally.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:48 PM