Redundant Radius Servers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a windows 2008 R2 Radius Server that I am shutting down and replacing it with a windows 2012 R2. I want to build 2 radius servers and set one as the primary and one as the secondary so if the primary goes down the secondary will take over. Can it be done? Thank you in advance. 

cshsysadmin

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi rdprice_cshco.com,

Base on my understanding, you want to use two NPS servers to do failover.

Then we need to set up a NPS proxy, in RADIUS clients and servers>remote RADIUS server groups, new a RADIUS server group, add the two NPS servers to the group. Then use connection request policy to forwarder request to the remote RADIUS server group.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:35 AM

All replies

• Hi rdprice_cshco.com,

Base on my understanding, you want to use two NPS servers to do failover.

Then we need to set up a NPS proxy, in RADIUS clients and servers>remote RADIUS server groups, new a RADIUS server group, add the two NPS servers to the group. Then use connection request policy to forwarder request to the remote RADIUS server group.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:35 AM
  • Thanks and yes that is correct. Do you know of any good Microsoft articles or videos?

cshsysadmin

Monday, January 25, 2016 8:01 PM