none
Tape Backup - iSCSI Traffic RRS feed

• Question

• I have a recent problem where tape backups are transferring data to tape at 15-20GB/hour, but we are used to seeing 100-200GB/hour.  In looking at both the SCSI to library and iscsi to array, I noticed that the iscsi traffic spikes and drops at a pretty consistent rate.  When recovery point jobs run, the iscsi traffic fills and transfers like normal.  Has anyone seen this issue where you get a large spike for a second and zero traffic for 15 seconds and another spike?  My tape drive switches between writing and idle back and forth as these spikes hit.

I'm running DPM 2012 R2 UR11.  Thanks in advance for any insight into what is going on. 

Best, Jacob I'm a PC.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:17 PM

Answers

• Just wanted to post my solution here in case anyone ever comes across this.  The problem resides with using a Quantum LTO3 or LTO4 tape drive running DPM 2012 R2 on Server 2012 R2.  Quantum's test tool shows successful data throughput, but DPM does not seem to work properly.  The fix was to remove the Quantum LTO3/4 tape drive driver and install the generic Microsoft LTO Tape driver.  Once I did that and rebooted, the jobs are back to transferring around 200GB/hour. 

Best, Jacob I'm a PC.

• Marked as answer by jheinikel Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:09 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:09 PM