Word Table of Contents and header text RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to use the automatic Table of Contents in Word to include titles of Appendices which are included in a Header?  I understand how to use the Heading Styles to include titles in the ToC etc but it still does not include the text from my headers.
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:33 PM

Answers

• For instructions on setting up appendix numbering, take a look at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numberingappendixes.html.

However, note that a table of contents in Word can’t pick up any information from a header or footer. For one thing, since headers (footers) repeat on several pages, which page number should be assigned to them?

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Oz_Elissa Friday, December 21, 2012 1:19 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 1:02 AM

All replies

• For instructions on setting up appendix numbering, take a look at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numberingappendixes.html.

However, note that a table of contents in Word can’t pick up any information from a header or footer. For one thing, since headers (footers) repeat on several pages, which page number should be assigned to them?

• Marked as answer by Oz_Elissa Friday, December 21, 2012 1:19 AM
    Friday, December 21, 2012 1:02 AM
  • Thanks Stefan, good point! Cheers.
    Friday, December 21, 2012 1:20 AM
  • On 2012-12-21 02:20, Oz_Elissa wrote:
    Thanks Stefan, good point! Cheers.

What you can do, though, is add the heading to the main body of the document and repeat it in the header (or footer) by inserting a STYLEREF field.

Friday, December 21, 2012 8:35 AM
  • This philosophy is why I recommend switching to InDesign.

Since a header is repeating within a section, why not list the first page that repeated header is on.

Word is fundamentally flawed for basic tasks and chokes mightily on simple layout logic.

• Edited by dpeters911 Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:55 PM
  • dpeters911: Recommend away!

This is not a fundamental flaw, but is a design decision that works for many Word users. To the extent Word adds "features" like you are requesting, it becomes more of a Christmas Tree with something for everyone hanging on it and less of a useful program.

For specific tasks, I'm sure that InDesign is superior; so, for that matter are WordPad, NotePad, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.

Word has the ability to show any text within the body of the document in a Table of Contents. It also has the ability to show any text in the body of the document in a header automatically. That is enough for me.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:20 PM
  • InDesign and Word are two very different programs, intended for different tasks...

For what it's worth, in a Word table of contents, if you want to add text which isn't visible in the document, you can make use of a TC field. See http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm#TCFields.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:08 PM
  • i have the same problem, but actually you can set a diferent header for each page, i already did it, but my problem is that the table of contents does not pick up the text of the headers. i need that cuz i am triying to make a template.
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:08 PM
  • i have the same problem, but actually you can set a diferent header for each page, i already did it, but my problem is that the table of contents does not pick up the text of the headers. i need that cuz i am triying to make a template.

To add a new header for each page you need a lot of section breaks. It will create a very complex document.

That said, you can insert a TC field on each page and then create a table of contents based on TC fields. You can insert a TC field via the Mark Table of Contents Entry dialog box, which you can display by pressing Alt+Shift+O. For more, see http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm#TCFields.

• Proposed as answer by J'a's Wednesday, February 17, 2016 5:59 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Rather than a bunch of headers, try using the built-in heading styles. For your level 1 style, format it for page break before. Use the StyleRef Field to switch the content of headers to match that of headings.

If needed, you can put a section break before each part to start a new header and set the header for different first page and have no header on that first page. Header/Footer Settings Recap

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:33 PM
  • My sincere apologies for not making myself clear, it is because I need the table of contents TO PICK UP THE PAGE HEADERS for the following reasons. 
    For example : In my work I typed the information in a system and I have to save all through screenshots in order to get the information I am typing which are 
    1.main screen screenshots 2.fiber content screenshots
    3.care instructions screenshots
    These are the TITTLES that i can easily set in the body of the word document and the table of contents  picks up all of them but, when I paste a screenshot in one of these 3 methods
    (for example i paste the screenshot of fiber content after fiber content title) 
    the next title 
    (care instructions)
    It moves out of place and it makes the documents look messy, also, I have to update the table of contents all the time after I finished pasting all the screenshots. Now instead of that, I want to set page 1 for the table of contents.
    Mainscreen screenshots as the page headers for pages 2,3 & 4.
    Fiber Content screenshots as page header for page 5.
    Last but not least
    Care instructions as page header for page 6.
    In that way i will be able to paste the pictures and the text won't move out of place and also I won't need to update the table of contents.
    I have been looking for these solutions in a lot of websites but I still can't find a way to fix that. If anyone can kindly help me I am really pleased.
    Let me know how to work this through. Thank you for your time and let me know as soon as possible. Thank you again once more
    • Edited by J'a's Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:35 PM
  • My sincere apologies for not making myself clear, it is because I need the table of contents TO PICK UP THE PAGE HEADERS for the following reasons. 
    For example : In my work I typed the information in a system and I have to save all through screenshots in order to get the information I am typing which are 
    1.main screen screenshots 2.fiber content screenshots
    3.care instructions screenshots
    These are the TITTLES that i can easily set in the body of the word document and the table of contents  picks up all of them but, when I paste a screenshot in one of these 3 methods
    (for example i paste the screenshot of fiber content after fiber content title) 
    the next title 
    (care instructions)
    It moves out of place and it makes the documents look messy, also, I have to update the table of contents all the time after I finished pasting all the screenshots. Now instead of that, I want to set page 1 for the table of contents.
    Mainscreen screenshots as the page headers for pages 2,3 & 4.
    Fiber Content screenshots as page header for page 5.
    Last but not least
    Care instructions as page header for page 6.
    In that way i will be able to paste the pictures and the text won't move out of place and also I won't need to update the table of contents.
    I have been looking for these solutions in a lot of websites but I still can't find a way to fix that. If anyone can kindly help me I am really pleased.
    Let me know how to work this through. Thank you for your time and let me know as soon as possible. Thank you again once more

• Edited by J'a's Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Word can't "see" anything in the header (or footer) for the purpose of table of contents creation. This means that you need a workaround. Adding TC fields will do the trick, because these are formatted as hidden and will show no result in the document, only in the TOC.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 3:16 PM
  • As Stefan pointed out, this is not something that can be done.

Technically, even though a header may only appear on one page, it is not "on a page" but rather in a different layer. Headers and footers are intended to be present in multiple pages. The Table of Contents field will not pick up anything in the header/footer layer.

You could use TC fields to put information you want to show up in your Table of Contents on a particular page but not printing on that page. These have to be in the body rather than the header/footer. Look at the link Stefan gave you. Here are two more:

Are you incorporating screenshots in your table of contents or the description/caption?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Thanks, to be more specific  i want 3 tittles(not descriptions/captions of images , i want Tittles) : 1.-Main screen, 2.- Fiber content, 3.-care instructions(for example : one tittle per page). but how can i set these tittles to stay always in the same place ? , because if i set these 3 tittle in the document body then when i paste the screenshots the tittles moves out of place, and then i have to fix the tittles and also i have to update the table of contents. Please help me,  if my request is not possible to do by adding the tittles as page headers, then in which other way i can do this?  thank you. 
    • Edited by J'a's Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:35 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:32 PM
  • Thank you Stefan but i want the text to be visible, not hide, if it is not possible to do what i am looking for by adding the tittles as page headers then in which other way can i do it?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:41 PM
  • You will have to insert section breaks, unlink headers, manually add text in the headers and insert TC fields in the body of the document. This is going to be difficult to maintain, because Word wasn't really designed to work that way.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:54 PM
  • I have great respect for your frustration. You are asking for something Word is not set up for. A page layout program (perhaps InDesign or Publisher) can move things around a lot better, but does not have the text processing power of Word.

You are trying to do something that would be the equivalent in automobile terms of saying that you need a lot of space in the driver compartment of your auto because you have long legs. So you want to stretch the driver compartment (like a stretch limo) and use the spare tire as the steering wheel. I have no doubt that a skilled mechanic and body shop can accomplish this. However your automobile will be very difficult to drive, especially for someone used to a regular steering wheel or with shorter legs. It will not be easy for you to drive either! No matter how strong the stretch welds are, the vehicle is likely to be less structurally sound than the original.

The document you will end up with is going to be very unwieldy, an least as unwieldy as that automobile with a spare tire for a steering wheel. It will also be less structurally sound; it will be hard to keep track of pieces.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Thank you very much Stefan Blom for your help, i solved the problem using only textboxes, bookmarks and cross-references, it's working very well.Thanks for your help and your time.
    Monday, February 22, 2016 5:04 PM
  • I'm glad you found my reply helpful

Monday, February 22, 2016 11:24 PM
  • You should use the first page of the appendix as the page number in the contents list, if the appendix header is repeated, since most people will go to the start of the appendix if they wish to look something up.

Pity it won't show in the contents list anyway,

Sunday, July 21, 2019 11:45 PM