Unable to create profile for other user's mailbox in Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning All.

in our Exchange 2010 environment i have an account that has full access permissions to all accounts in our environment but I cannot successfully setup an outlook profile as that admin user to access another user's mailbox.  I can open a user's Inbox in OWA just fine but when I try to setup a profile in Outlook I'm just prompted for credentials and after putting in the correct credentials it just keeps prompting over and over.  This works fine on accounts still on Exchange 2003 but any account on 2010 won't allow me to setup a profile.

I've seen other posts on the Internet similar to this but no answers so far.

Here is what I am doing.

1) logging into a workstation as "Admin1" that has full access permissions to all mailboxes

2) Launching Outlook and setting up a profile as "RandomUser1" but I want to use the credentials of "Admin1" to access the mailbox

3) Go through the profile setup. I tell it to manually configure.  I put my CAS Array name as the server because this is a pointer to my HW load balancer VIP.  For user name I put the samaccountname of the account I want to open up.   Clicking "Check Name" resolves everything correctly.

4) Pressing "Next" and the "Finish" prompts me for credentials which is fine.  That is what it does on Exchange 2003 also.  Putting in the correct credentials just reprompts for credentials like the account doesn't have the correct permissions to the mailbox.

I know this account has the correct permissions because I can open the Inbox just fine through OWA.

Any suggestions on things to check?

Monday, September 3, 2012 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

If you configured the email address is RandomUser1, it will prompt to the password of RandomUser1 when you logon the mailbox, and it seems impossible to use other’s credential to logon this mailbox.

You can logon Admin1’s mailbox, and add the mailbox you grant the full access permission to Admin1.

“File”—“Account Settings”—double click Admin1’s address—“More Settings”—“Advanced”—Add (add the mailbox address).

Wendy Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by wendy_liu Monday, September 24, 2012 2:14 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:33 AM
  • When you are logged on as "Admin1" on the workstation then you can simply launch the outlook to use the auto account setup and in the email address type the email address of the account that you need to access and leave the password field blank and hit next to complete the setup.
    I always access the additional mailboxes in this way without any issue.

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:04 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:10 PM

All replies

• How long have you waited?  Mailbox permissions changes can take two hours to take effect.

How are you granting this full access?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:08 AM
  • This admin account has had full access privileges for years (initially on the 2003 server), it has no problem accessing the mailboxes if I open the inbox through OWA.  It is only when I try to create an Outlook profile that I get this problem.  If I check the Full Access permissions for the account I want to create an Outlook profile as I see this account in the list of users that have Full Access permissions.
    • Edited by dbrinkley Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:05 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:18 AM
  • Hi ,

If you configured the email address is RandomUser1, it will prompt to the password of RandomUser1 when you logon the mailbox, and it seems impossible to use other’s credential to logon this mailbox.

You can logon Admin1’s mailbox, and add the mailbox you grant the full access permission to Admin1.

“File”—“Account Settings”—double click Admin1’s address—“More Settings”—“Advanced”—Add (add the mailbox address).

Wendy Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:33 AM

• So is it impossible to open a mailbox as another user that has Full Access rights to that mailbox in 2010?  This works fine on mailboxes on 2003 but I can't get it to work in 2010.  I can open the mailbox as an additional mailbox in Outlook and OWA just fine so I know that I have the correct permissions.
    • Edited by dbrinkley Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:14 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:13 PM
  • When you are logged on as "Admin1" on the workstation then you can simply launch the outlook to use the auto account setup and in the email address type the email address of the account that you need to access and leave the password field blank and hit next to complete the setup.
    I always access the additional mailboxes in this way without any issue.

• Proposed as answer by wendy_liu Thursday, September 20, 2012 1:04 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:10 PM